Time for changes to be made in this building

Photo by Lauren Smith
Water flooded the building between the history and art hallway on the main level.

From no toilet paper in the bathroom stalls, to water damage, to wall pieces breaking off, odd smells, pipes bursting, and so much more, this school is in need of a major make-over. When are we going to face the issues and fight for actual change in our school building?

Students have fought and advocated for change to be made to this school building for years, but since none of these changes have been made, it’s easy for students to give up and accept defeat. Junior Duke Ampofo said, “By the time change is even made my grade will be graduated so why dwell.”

If the student will be graduated by the time the changes are made why bother to fight for them? This has been the common mentality among our students. However, senior Catherine Clark disagrees. “Even though I am in my final semester of high school, I hope a renovation for our building happens for the underclassmen and future students to come,” Clark said.

The chances of a renovation for our current students, including freshmen, are low, but future students should be able to learn and pursue their education in a clean and updated environment.

Just a few weeks ago, a pipe burst and leaked into a few of the classrooms. This happened during first period, between 7:45 and 8:27 a.m.. Students had to leave their classrooms mid-lesson, which affected their lesson and caused chaos in the morning right when students were getting settled for the long day ahead.

If this type of interruption keeps recurring, student’s learning will be impacted for the worse. This school is known to be one of the best schools academically in the county. Why shouldn’t we be able to have a building that fits our reputation?

Not only is our building falling apart, but we fail to have basic necessities like toilet paper and paper towels in the bathroom. Senior Emily Miranda said, “There have been many times where I have finished washing my hands and looked at the empty dispenser leaving me with nothing.”

Agreeing, junior Mohammad Uddin said, “In the upstairs bathrooms there is gross stuff on the walls, I don’t even know what they are. I have seen weird images drawn onto the bathroom walls, toilet seats, and urinals.”

Junior Lucas Yeguech has also had interesting experiences throughout the building. Yegeuch said, “I have seen holes in the roof of the boy’s bathroom.”

Only so much damage can be taken by students. When will the county show they care about this school?