MCPS ignores widespread celebration to make up for snow

Photo courtesy @mococlosures on Instagram
Instagram accounts affiliated with MCPS post updates about the decision to make Apr. 22 an asynchronous day.

When MCPS was working out the calendar year for the 2023-2024 school year, they decided that Apr. 22 would be a professional development day but could also act as a possible make-up day. Every year, MCPS allows a certain number of days to be used as built-in snow days in the case of inclement weather. Those days have now been used up due to snow and MCPS has decided to change Apr. 22 to an asynchronous day.

The decision was shared with teachers by the Montgomery County Teachers Union and Montgomery County Education Association. Regardless of whether you are celebrating Passover or not, MCPS has a variety of days they could choose to make asynchronous makeup days. As identified on the calendar, March 25-26, April 10, April 22, June 14 and June 17-18, 2024 were all possible dates that could have been picked to become an asynchronous day for students and teachers.

Instead, MCPS has chosen to potentially disrupt the celebration of their students and teachers to make up for the snow.
An asynchronous day does not require students or staff to hold and attend online Zoom meetings, but it would require both parties to be active on their computers during school hours. Teachers will have to update their classes with assignments to complete and students will have to log online to do the said assignments and turn in homework that is due that evening.
Aside from this being shared via email, Instagram pages like @mococlosures have shared this information, only to receive comments expressing students’ dislike of the decision, making it clear that it is unlikely for the majority of students to complete their work on an asynchronous day.

Passover is a Jewish celebration that commemorates the Hebrews’ liberation from slavery and the Biblical story of Exodus. This year Passover begins on the evening of Apr. 22 and ends after sundown on Apr. 30. Passover, like any celebration, has its own rules. Each family follows these rules to a varying degree but it is customary to refrain from working, at a minimum, on the first day of the celebration.

According to ABC News 7, Montgomery County is 10% Jewish, making it one of the highest Jewish population densities in the country. So in the end, not only is this asynchronous day disrupting a holiday celebrated by Jewish students and staff but is also requiring them to violate one of the celebration customs.

It is also unlikely to be a productive, working day for students. MCPS could have easily chosen any of the other various dates to make up for the snow days this year, dates on which there are no celebrations or holidays that are being dismissed.