It’s the most wonderful time of the year

Photo used with permission from Wiki Commons
Singer Mariah Carey performs at a Christmas concert in New York. Her song “All I Want For Christmas is You” has become a holiday classic, reaching over 1.5 billion streams on Spotify.

As October comes to a close, the sounds, sights and smells of fall slowly fade away. Pumpkin spice, Halloween decorations and spooky sounds become replaced by freshly baked cookies, glittering conifers and, yes, Christmas music.

This transition between two major holidays, Halloween and Christmas, happens almost instantly, with Christmas music typically being played by radio stations in early November. However, there is controversy around when Christmas music should start playing, with people believing that playing Christmas music early distracts from another major holiday: Thanksgiving. People who believe Christmas music shouldn’t be played before Thanksgiving think that playing Christmas music takes away attention from Thanksgiving, which they consider an important holiday that fosters gratitude and family. “I don’t think Christmas music should be played before Thanksgiving because it’s not Christmas yet and December hasn’t even started,” junior Nikki Sanayi said.

However, playing Christmas music in early November is not as bad as people may think. According to the Family Handyman, Thanksgiving is the most celebrated holiday in the U.S., with 90% of Americans celebrating. There are multiple traditions Americans look forward to, such as eating food, watching football and spending time with their families. “I really enjoy getting to eat all the food, especially mashed potatoes,” sophomore Sophia Shapiro said.

Christmas music should be played starting in early November because it helps put people in the holiday mood. Christmas music reminds people of their childhood and makes them excited for December. “I like Christmas music because it brings back memories of my childhood, gets me in the mood for the holiday season, and makes me feel better overall,” junior Paige Euler said.

Another reason Christmas music should start playing before Thanksgiving is because it can help cheer people up. Since less sunlight can cause people’s serotonin levels to decrease and days get shorter it is common for people to feel “down” around this time of year. “I generally find myself less happy in the winter than in other seasons,” senior Jai Ahuja said.

Christmas music can help combat this, as studies show listening to Christmas music can increase serotonin levels. According to Scripps Affiliated Medical Groups, Christmas music can stimulate the brain’s pleasure circuit, releasing dopamine and serotonin. “I think Christmas music should start playing in early November because it helps me with stress and my overall mood,” Euler said.

Sometimes, listening to Christmas music is more than just a personal preference. It’s a family tradition. “My family has listened to Christmas music for a long time, and we always start listening in early November,” junior Jack Sullivan said.

Despite Thanksgiving being the closest holiday to early November, Christmas music is an integral part of people’s November, due to the mental health benefits it carries. As a reminder of good times and a way to get people excited, Christmas music should start playing in early November. “Christmas music always gets my spirits up,” senior Katelyn Ahn said.