Colorado football is entering primetime

Photo used with permission from Deion Sanders Instagram
Colorado University football coach Deion Sanders has led the team to a 3-1 record in his inaugural season with the team.

With the exception of the Taylor Swift and Travis Kelce dating rumors, there is nothing in sports drawing more attention than Deion “Prime time” Sanders. The former NFL and MLB superstar, now referred to as “Coach Prime,” has started a college football movement. Between his talented student-athletes and celebrity status, nothing can stop this Colorado-sized wave.

Last December, after three successful seasons at the historically black university (HBCU) Jackson State, head coach Deion Sanders announced he was leaving to coach the Colorado Buffaloes football team. College football fans certainly took note, but this move was not recognized on a large scale.

Sanders inherited a team that had just finished the previous season with one win and 11 losses. In order to build a stronger roster, Sanders utilized the transfer portal. He encouraged Colorado players from the 2022-2023 season to leave the school as he brought in new recruits, players from other schools and those who followed him from Jackson State. The encouraged mass exit of players prompted football fans to accuse Sanders of favoritism.

Two of the biggest stars on the Colorado team are players who followed Sanders from Jackson State, one of whom is Sander’s son, Shedeur Sanders. Shedeur is the quarterback for the Buffaloes this season after leading Jackson State in the previous two seasons. The junior has thrown for 1,410 yards and 11 touchdowns through the first four games of the season.
One of Shedeur’s favorite targets is the highly touted two-way stud, Travis Hunter. Hunter was the top-ranked recruit in the Class of 2022 and became the first five-star recruit to ever sign to an HBCU. The sophomore cornerback and wide receiver is breaking precedent by playing on both sides of the ball beyond the high school level.

Led by these two players, Colorado has started the season with three wins and one loss. One of those wins was a 45-42 upset win over national championship runner-ups Texas Christian University. The books had TCU as 21-point favorites entering the game. “That win came as a huge shock to me. I was interested in watching but had no expectation of Colorado winning,” junior Manny Perez said.

What makes this Colorado Buffaloes team so popular is more than just winning games and their exciting, high-scoring offense. Coach Sanders has had cameras rolling every step of the way for a documentary, allowing fans to see the team grow at a more intimate level. The filming for the second season of the Amazon Prime documentary “Coach Prime” is happening in Colorado this year.

Several memorable moments have already come out of the locker room and off the field. Fiery pregame speeches and flashy post-game celebrations have made Colorado must-watch TV. “Anytime that he (Sanders) hogs attention with his showmanship, he is setting up his players for better NIL deals,” science department head Michael Thompson said.
The changes within the football program have had an impact on the environment on campus. “The energy of the fans, the atmosphere on the campus, the media coverage has all been crazy,” Wootton alum and Colorado University sophomore Max Wool said.

The long-term effects of Sander’s tenure at Colorado are yet to be seen. The short-term effects have been drastic. According to Sports Media Watch, four of the top seven most viewed college football games this season have been Colorado games. “He’s putting our football team on the map as well as our school. It’s awesome to see,” Wool said.

The presence of a Black head coach and quarterback at the school has also led to an increase in Black viewership. According to CBS News, Colorado has 8% higher Black viewership than non-Colorado games. This is coming at a school with a Black student population of less than 3%. “I think Coach Prime is creating an interest level for a whole demographic at the school,” Perez said.

With so much done in just half of a season, the world will be waiting to see what is next for Colorado and “Coach Prime.” “I think he is breaking the mold for college sports,” Wool said.