Track jumps into championship season hopeful for regional title

Photo by Gurnoor Sodhi
Wootton goes up against Churchill for the first divisional meet of the season on Apr. 3. Both the girls’ and boys’ teams were defeated.

Returning after the loss of key seniors in the previous season, track and field is still aiming high for the postseason, contending for the regional championship and qualifying for states in relays and individual events. With only two divisional meets against Churchill and Whitman, the boys are 1-1 after defeating Churchill, while the girls stand at 0-2 losing both meets.

On Apr. 27 the team has the opportunity to attend the Gator Invitational, which is a prestigious meet that attracts talented athletes from across the state in a variety of events. After the Gator Invitational, the championship season starts with the county meet on May 8 and 9. To prepare for the championship season, the team balances maximizing training time while also taking, “care of themselves recovery-wise so [they] can stay healthy without dealing with any injuries,” senior Georgetown track commit Victoria Ketzler said.

Training for these competitive meets to achieve qualifying times for states requires rigorous discipline. While as a whole track and field represents sprinters, jumpers, throwers and the long-distance runners, each requires distinct training to maximize their results in meets. The mid to long-distance group, coached by Kellie Redmond, practices from 3-5 p.m. each weekday. Each day varies in intensity with three key workouts done each week, including recovery and easy and long runs. In addition to the running aspect of the team, core and glute workouts are done after each practice to strengthen the athlete’s muscles in key areas crucial to minimizing injuries and maximizing performance. As the championship season gets closer, the training adjusts to get the athletes ready. “We progress our training as the season moves along so that our runners are hitting their fastest times in May,” Redmond said.

As the season ramps up to reach states, the team is working to beat their personal bests and have as many state qualifying times as possible. Last year the team was represented by Ketzler, alumna Maya Gottesman, alumna Amaris Palanga, alumnus Yule Peters, senior Anish Yarra and three relay teams. Of these athletes, Ketzler brought home a state championship in the 1600-meter run with a time of 4:58.29.

Continuing into the current season, the team boasts a variety of athletes who are contenders to assist the team in accomplishing their regional championship title. Redmond spotlighted Ketzler, senior Troy Bailey, junior Rendon Yerman, freshman Emily Lewis and sophomore Charlotte Chang along with others. In the sprinters and jumpers group, head coach Mo Drammeh features sophomore Mia Coven, senior RJ Cui, senior Aaliyah Jalloh and junior Xinsu Lu, who are, “athletes that are very competitive in terms of their performances and are always actively looking to improve team camaraderie,” Drammeh said.

Track as a sport is based on beating personal records, which creates a brutal environment of pushing oneself to the limit, but as junior Rendan Yerman explains, the community is uplifting and supportive and teammates push each other to attain their goals. “I love that we have such a big team because it really makes practice easier knowing you have 50+ teammates there with you,” Ketzler said.