Girls’ lacrosse stays strong at halfway through season

Junior+Marissa+Cook+gets+past+her+defender+in+a+16-0+win+against+Kennedy+at+home+on+Apr.+2.+
Photo by Erik Kleinbussink
Junior Marissa Cook gets past her defender in a 16-0 win against Kennedy at home on Apr. 2.

The girls’ varsity lacrosse season is already past its halfway point. Coach Shannon Davis has led the team to a successful season so far. They hold a 5-3 record, with important wins, including the first game against rival Churchill, who they beat 10-6, as well as impressive blowout games against Kennedy, Blair and Blake, winning by more than 10 goals in each.

This year’s squad includes players of all grades. With the skill sets of each player and the flexibility and depth of the squad, they hope to play each player to their strengths and whatever helps the team win.

Junior Emily Teague, a varsity defender, said that Davis is a key part to their success this season. “She prioritizes us and always boosts us up and tries to help us do our best. There is a good mixture of prioritizing winning and also doing what is best for the team and the future of Wootton,” Teague said.

Important aspects of success in the sport are good coaching, communication and leadership. “I believe that our team has everything we need to be successful. We have a supportive and knowledgeable coach, great captains and leaders who bring their teammates together, and good chemistry and communication between each other as we have been playing together for years,” Teague said.

Teague hopes that the future of girls’ lacrosse at this school will be just as successful as this season. “Our coach wants to build up the program because it hasn’t been as strong in the past and she wants to make the success of the team consistent and the quality of the team top tier,” Teague said.

With last year’s varsity team going 5-7 in the regular season and losing to Whitman in the second round of the playoffs, this year’s team has already matched last year’s wins, and is hopeful for a better season and a successful playoff run. With each season comes new opportunities to improve, and Davis wishes to capitalize on them.

Teague said she enjoys the sport but, similar to her teammates, admits that it is time consuming. “The best thing about lacrosse is that it is a really good group of people and it is fun to be out there and win most of the time. Although it is good exercise and a good experience with friends, it is a huge time commitment and I have a lot of school work to do, so balancing that is difficult,” Teague said.

The girls play Magruder at home tonight at 7 p.m..