Swim and dive thriving as season wraps up

Photo by Sidney Thompson

The swim and dive team competed at the Metros meet. The boys finished fourth while the girls finished seventh.

With the season coming to an end, the swim and dive team is clicking at the right time. Both the girls and boys have been impressive in regular-season meets and the Metros meet that took place Feb. 9 through Feb. 12. School record times have been broken in the past month.

The boys recently picked up a win against Richard Montgomery by a score of 118.5 to 67.5. Their record has now improved to 4-1 on the season. Junior Sidney Thompson said “The boys have been on fire recently. This team seriously has the potential to be great for years to come.” 

A highlight of the season for the boys has been junior diver and Princeton commit, Aidan Wang, who continues to break records. He bested his school record from earlier this season for four dives, setting a stellar 248.55. This is the fifth time he has broken this record in his high school career. His previous record score was 225.65. Junior Sophia Shad said, “It’s really impressive how Aidan continues to break his own records week after week.”

The girls have still been struggling, as they have a 0-5 record. Although it has been tough, the team is young and there are bright spots. One of those is sophomore Amy Qin. She has been killing it recently, specifically in the 50-meter freestyle and 100-meter freestyle. She broke school records in both of these events, with times of 23.06 in the 50 meter, and 50.26 in the 100 meters.

Both the boys and girls represented well in the Metros meet. This meet is a major event that takes the four best swimmers from both public and private schools and has them compete against each other. The boys finished fourth overall, while the girls finished seventh. Junior Jordan Kelly broke his own record in the 200 Individual medley, with a time of 1:50.6. Jordan was also involved in the 400 freestyle relay that also broke a team record. This relay included senior David Yune, junior Jordan Kelly, sophomore Ashton Sun, and senior Jordan Zhang. They swam a 3:11.41. This girls broke a relay record in the 200 meter freestyle. Sophomore Amy Qin, junior Ashley Woo, junior Sidney Thompson and sophomore Campbell Scofield swam a blazing 1:36.63 in the event.

As the season comes to a close, all these records being broken by underclassmen is a fantastic sign for years to come.