JV Girls Basketball: Team showcases roster depth

After a long winter break the girls laced up and got ready to finish their season.
The girls opened up 2017 with a game versus Richard Montgomery on Jan. 1. Superstar freshman forward Aniyah Hester scored a season high 19 points versus Richard Montgomery on Jan. 3, however the Patriots efforts were not good enough to beat the Rockets as they lost and their record dropped to 4-4 on the season. “RM is a good team and that was a hard match-up,” coach Maggie Dyer said. The girls were disappointed but after a hard week of practice the girls were ready to bounce back.
The girls felt it was necessary to bounce back so they could get above the .500 mark on the season. Some thought that without Hester, their leading player, who would be on the bench the Patriots would struggle against the Rams. However the Patriots were still able to outplay the Rams in the contest and get the win on Jan. 10. Sophomore guard Jenna Oringher scored 10 points and sophomore forward Maria Pia Castro added another eight to the scoreboard. “It was a good win for the girls,” Dyer said. Freshman Blossom Jaimes and Nicole Passerella were able to gather a few rebounds and jump the passing lane a few times in route to the 15 point win over the Rams.
The Patriots are about halfway through their season and are 5-4 right now. With young talent, the girls hope to finish the season strong and get better each day. Grinding and putting in hours of work in the gym is going to propel these ladies to a winning season. Players like Hester and Castro could possibly add something to the varsity team later in the season.
The girls next game was Jan. 13 versus Whitman, too late to be covered in this issue.

Dean Spitz

Sports Editor