JV girls’ basketball reflects on fun-filled successful season

The JV girls’ basketball team finished the season with a winning record, which was a great bounce back from last years 3-12.

The girls played at Einstein on Jan. 8, getting the win. The game was originally scheduled for the day before, but was postponed due to snow.

The Patriots traveled to Churchill to play against their rival bulldogs on Jan. 10, losing 54-24.

The girls played against Walter Johnson at home on Jan. 13. They could not seem to get anything going from the start, losing 59-10 in their lowest scoring performance of the season.

The team traveled to BCC on Jan. 15 and faced Wheaton at home on Jan. 17, beating Wheaton and losing to BCC. “Playing games every other day is a lot of fun because we really get to see our improvement,” sophomore Nikki Faroughi said.

The team had a rematch against Churchill on Jan. 21, a chance to redeem themselves in front of the home crowd. The girls struggled to get rebounds, falling behind early on. The girls were never able to come back, losing the back and forth game 44-23.

The Patriots faced Kennedy on Jan. 28, after a long break from games. The girls struggled to get something going early on, but were able to pull away in the second half.

They finished with a blowout victory.

The girls had a tough matchup against a strong Richard Montgomery team on Jan. 31, ending with a loss. “It was unfortunate that we lost, but I know we tried our hardest and can bounce back next game,” Faroughi said.

The team finished the season with a win against Magruder on Feb. 3. “It was great to win our last game. We can really see how much we have improved since the beginning,” Faroughi said.

The season has come to an end, but the girls will continue to practice and improve on their own for next year. “It’s never too early to start preparing. I have to step-up my game because varsity is a big change from JV,” Faroughi said.

Freshman guard Aliki Shoemaker led the way on offense with several high scoring performances. She was called up to varsity following the season.