JV girls’ basketball looks to recover following tough loss against Churchill

The JV girls’ basketball has had a successful start to the season. This is a change from last season, when the team finished with a disappointing 3-12 record. They have already won more games than last year and look to keep going.

This group of girls is special because they are not only close with each other on the court, but also off the court. “Our team chemistry is great and we are playing hard together. We have to keep working hard in practice if we want to continue to be successful,” sophomore guard Nikki Faroughi said.

The team played Blair at home on Dec. 10. The Patriots finished with a 47-46 win as they made several clutch shots in the final minutes to skim by in a tight game.
The girls were getting steals on defense, leading to easy layups on offense. “We had a really good game overall. They were a good team, but we outplayed them,” Faroughi said.

Blair was much bigger and stronger, but the Patriots hustled and had no trouble getting boards. “We are shorter than most teams, but it does not stop us from getting rebounds,” Faroughi said.

Freshman guard Aliki Shoemaker has been leading the offensive so far. She has a strong offensive skill set with the ability to score at the rim and shoot over defenders.
In recent home games, lots of fans have come out to support and cheer on the team. “It is great that fans are coming to watch,” Faroughi said.

The girls played against Watkins Mill at home on Dec. 13. They won the game by a landslide, dominating both offensively and defensively from start to end.
The team traveled to Rockville to face off against the Rams on Dec. 20. This was the last game before winter break. The Patriots lost by three points in an intense back-and-forth game.

The girls had a break for the holidays, but continued to practice during their own time. “It is important to keep practicing so that we can bounce back from the loss against Rockville,” sophomore forward Ayzelin Roebuck said.

The first game of the new year was played against Walt Whitman on Jan. 3. The girls fell behind from the start and were unable to create any momentum, losing. “We just have to keep working hard,” Roebuck said.

The team played Einstein on Jan. 8. The girls came out strong, taking an early lead. They kept the momentum the entire game, finishing off with a win.
The Patriots faced rival Churchill on Jan. 10. The girls had a poor performance, losing the contest.

The team faced off against Walter Johnson on Jan. 13, too late to be covered in this issue.