JV hockey hopes to turn things around after loss to BCC

The JV hockey team currently sits at a 2-4 record with a 3-2 win against Walter Johnson, and a 4-3 win over Richard Montgomery, and losses against Whitman, BCC twice, and Churchill.

Sophomore James Lieske leads the Patriots in points with three goals and one assist. In the most recent game against BCC, junior Riley Jordan scored his first goal of the season, and freshman William Rusieki also scored his first goal of the season in the 5-2 loss. The Patriots’ next game against the Northwest and Quince Orchard combined team on Jan. 13 was too late to be included in this issue.

Sophomore Sophia Kaplunovich currently has one assist in five games, but her low point tally isn’t stopping her from having fun: Being one of the few girls to ever play for the hockey team is leading her to set new standards. “Doing what I love is eliminating the fact that I am the only girl on the team, but that won’t stop me from playing hard and scoring goals,” Kaplunovich said.

Freshman William Rusieki has been growing as an athlete. Rusieki knew that coming into the season he would have to make sure to stay on top of his school work and grades while also staying strong on the ice. “Being a student athlete comes with a lot to deal with, and I knew that coming into the season, I would have to stay on top of things,” Rusieki said.

Sophomore James Lieske has been rolling this season, but doesn’t plan on stopping his point streak. Lieske has only played in three JV games, as he has been battling injuries, but has not stopped him. “Dominating the JV play is super fun because who doesn’t love to score goals, and even though I was injured, it hasn’t stopped me,” Lieske said.

Sophomore Spencer Golub sits with three goals on the season, and knows that his role on the team will only improve, and his leadership will also need to improve. “Gaining my coaches’ trust is huge, which can lead to the ultimate goal, which is my role improving, along with my skills,” Golub said.

Netminder Logan Simmons has played all six games and will continue to stay in between the goal posts for the remainder of the season until he gets called up to varsity. Simmons played as a skater last year, and volunteered to be the goalie this year because they couldn’t find one. “I wanted to volunteer because I’ll do anything to help my teammates out and try and win,” Simmons said.