JV boys’ basketball looks strong in new season

JV boys’ basketball looks to thrive this season with multiple key players returning from last season. Tryouts started on Nov. 15 and lasted three days. Tryouts were competitive with dozens of players battling for limited spots.

Sophomores Ryan Parent, Dason Miller, and Ian Smith are three big players who are looking to return this year and run the scoring load. All three guards have the ability to space the floor out with their impressive ability to shoot the three. Parent also brings good ball handling and high basketball IQ, which helps him consistently make the right play.

Sophomore center Justin Mcgraw tried out for varsity, unsure of whether he would be on JV. Mcgraw is coming off an impressive football season, being one of the main factors for the varsity team. Mcgraw brings great size and athleticism on the court, which helps him grab rebounds and be a presence on the defensive end. Mcgraw will start the season on JV and will likely be a captain and a good model for the younger players to look up to.

The team took big losses from last season losing their most important upperclassmen. Juniors Miller Romm, Jayden Rowe, Ryan Feldman, Nathan Bowman, and Chris Rinaldi who were all starters last year are no longer on the team. Romm was the leading scorer on the team last year, putting up impressive numbers throughout the season. Rowe was the primary ball handler and has improved greatly this offseason. Feldman and Bowman were the two bigs who carried the team in rebounding and racked up lots of points. Rinaldi played the wing and had a very good feel for his outside shot while also having the athleticism to drive the ball inside for contested layups.

Rinaldi and Feldman both are not trying out for varsity this year. Rinaldi is recovering from a shoulder injury and won’t be healthy in time for tryouts. Feldman is focusing his talents on golf, which he hopes he can continue playing at the college level. Romm, Rowe, and Bowman are all looking to play big roles for the varsity team this upcoming season.
The team has their first game on Dec. 4 away against Springbrook.