Team continues hot streak, stays undefeated by demolishing opponents

The volleyball team is on the road to states with a 5-0 record. Junior middle hitter Leah Boxman said, “This year is going to be more than awesome.”

Boxman started playing volleyball at the age of 13, and has been playing here since her freshman year. She enjoys preparing for games with her teammates as well as the rides to away games. Boxman takes pride in the growth of her team over the years; her teammates and herself included. “My favorite thing is when I am playing during a game and I can hear my friends cheering for me. With so many people on the team this year, it is undeniable that we are obnoxiously loud and always cheer for each other on the court. We don’t normally get a lot of fans so I hope to see some of my friends at one of our upcoming games,” Boxman said.

On Sept. 17, the team played an intense game against Clarksburg. With a final score of 3-1, the team stays undefeated with another victory.“The energy was high from the beginning, which paid off, because it was an important game to win. I’m really proud of my team and I can not wait for the rest of the season,” junior right side hitter Liza Broydo said.

The Patriots took on the Whitman Vikings on Sept. 19 at home. Not only did Wootton take the dub, but they beat them in three sets. This impressive win would not have been possible without their coach, Mary Malinauskas, who leads and holds the team together on and off the court. “Our coach is so dedicated to this team and we are so lucky to have her. She pushes us to do our best and always knows the right things to say,” senior outside hitter Catie Brick said.

The team played against Wheaton on Sept. 23. Keeping their heads high and their serves even higher, the team walked away with another exciting win. They won in three sets, and several players contributed to the points that were well earned. “Pressure is always high during a game, but I’ve learned to block everything else out and just focus. One of the most important things is to connect with my teammates, otherwise the entire set gets thrown off,” senior libero Chloe Hum said.