JV football seeks redemption after rough start

Before the season, it was questionable whether the JV football team would have enough players to compete. With enough new additions to the roster, the teams look to have a successful season.

Sophomores Jack Mehler and Ethan Cohen are two athletic wide receivers who have been added. “I play baseball too so I know what it is like to be committed to working hard everyday. I am excited to put my hard work on the field and show what we have been practicing for,” Mehler said.

The team practices every day except Sunday after school. “We have to show up every day with 110 percent effort, even when we are tired from school,” Mehler said.

This year’s junior varsity team has only two returning players. “It is great to be a leader on the field as I move into my second year of high school football. My experience will help because I can teach the new guys our system,” sophomore linebacker Max Gracyalny said.

The team finished with a 2-6 record last year. They are looking to make a big improvement this year with a young roster.

The Patriots started the season off at home against Quince Orchard on Oct. 7. Wootton had a strong defensive performance, but came up short, losing 14-0. Mehler led the defense with two interceptions. “We played a good game and I am proud of our performance. QO is a tough first game, but we fought the whole time making big plays on defense to keep it close,” Mehler said.

Varsity lost top performing seniors, opening up roster spots for talented young players. Sophomore Justin McGraw looks to make an impact on varsity after a successful JV campaign. “I hope JV has a successful season and I will miss playing with them,” McGraw said.

Sophomore quarterback Ben Ehrman has faced several injuries throughout his high school career. He broke both of his arms before his freshman season, broke his nose over the summer, and recently recovered from a concussion. “I am happy that I am healthy for our second game of the season. It will be my first official high school game,” Ehrman said.

The Patriots faced off against Whitman on Oct. 14. Ehrman made big plays at quarterback getting the ball down the field, but it was not enough as Whitman swept by with a 28-8 win.