JV Ice Hockey: Team follows in varsity’s winning footsteps

#JVMatters, which is proven by hockey’s 3-0 start. The boys are led by sophomore Jake Smith. Smith has scored at least once in every game so far, for a total of four goals. His year of experience has proved him well so far.
The team also has sophomore goalie Seamus Graham to thank for their undefeated record. “I am confident in me and my team’s ability to bring out the energy needed for an undefeated season. That would be a great way to end the year,” he said.
The boys have a total of nine games, so they’re a third of their way to meeting their goal of an undefeated season.
The team shows a lot of potential. With a combination of goal-scoring ability and strong defensive power, the team is looking like it’s going to have a great season.
In their game against B-CC, the boys defeated the Barons 7-4, with goals from sophomore Jake Smith, junior Sean Lin and senior Nathan Sharpe. This was a non-league game, so the boys will face the Barons again. “It was so satisfying being able to win the first two games. It really gave us a lot of momentum for the Churchill game,” sophomore Danny Rothenberg said, “Hopefully, we’ll beat them again the next time we play them.”
In what one may call the most intense matchup of their season, the boys went on to play Churchill on Nov. 7. After a hard-fought game, the boys stood victorious as they had defeated the Bulldogs 3-2, with goals from Smith and Sharpe.
“There’s no better feeling than beating Churchill. We really deserved to beat them too, we just played harder because wanted it so much more. It may be the most looked forward to game for us,” said Rothenberg.
The boys’ next game is against Blair on Dec. 15. “I think we have a really good chance of winning. It is important for us to stay humble so we don’t underestimate our opponent. Keeping the thought of an undefeated season on our minds will help us concentrate for sure,” sophomore Eric Quam said.

Julia Stern

Social Media Director