JV boys’ baseball off to hot start with three straight wins

JV baseball started the season with an impressive 3-0 record.

The boys took on Damascus for their game on Mar. 22. Freshman Jackson Brunner started on the mound for the Patriots where he allowed six hits and three runs over five innings. The Patriots totaled nine hits over the game with freshman pitcher/outfielder Rob Carpenter and freshman middle infielder Brady Weiss each having two hits to help propel the Patriots with a 13-3 win. “It was great to get back out there and get a nice win on opening day,” head coach Robert Acevado said.

On Mar. 26 the Patriots had a home game against Blake where they pummeled the Bengals 28-1. The boys started the onslaught of runs in the first inning when freshman catcher James Walsh doubled to give the boys 1-0 lead. In the second inning, the Patriots opened it up completely, ultimately scoring 10 runs in the inning. Freshman pitcher Liam Miller started on the mound, allowing zero runs on zero hits in two and two-thirds innings. In total, the Patriots had 15 hits, with Walsh, freshman outfielder Dason Miller, Weiss, and sophomore middle infielder captain Hank Breen all having three hits to lead the team. “We knew we should have destroyed this team, and that is exactly what we did,” Walsh said.

On Mar. 28, the Patriots took on their biggest game of the season, playing their rival, Churchill. Carpenter started on the mound for the Patriots, pitching five innings while giving up no runs or hits. Sophomore first basemen George Misovec and Dason Miller each had two hits, which propelled the Patriots’ offense to win 4-0. The Bulldogs had a rough day at the plate, only being able to get one hit as the boys’ pitching was too much for them. “It was great to win on the biggest game of the year against Churchill,” Misovec said.

The boys are still without one of their leaders, sophomore middle infielder Kevin Friedman, who suffered a concussion after being drilled in the head with a line drive during practice. He looks to return this week after being cleared by the doctors last week. “I am just ready to get back on the field,” Friedman said.

The boys played Quince Orchard on Apr. 3, too late to be covered in this issue.