Slow start for girls’ JV Lax, team optimistic

Junior varsity girls’ lacrosse is known to have success on the field, as they look to continue the streak of winning seasons.

The two season winning streak started back in 2016 season when they went 5-3-1, and continued in 2017 when the girls closed out the season with a 5-4 record. They are currently 0-3, as they lost to private school, Holy Child 9-4, Walter Johnson 15-3, and Richard Montgomery 7-5.

Freshamn Nicole Jezek tallied two goals in the loss to Holy Child, and is hopeful that those goals were the first of many. “I was happy to score considering that it was my first ever lacrosse game. Even though we lost, I think it was a bonding experience for the team and we will definitely learn from it and come back strong,” Jezek said.

Sophomore Darcey Touchette just picked up lacrosse but expects to play it throughout her high school career. “I want to play lacrosse for the rest of my three years at Wootton. I love the coaching staff and I’m super excited to finish the season strong,” Touchette said.

Freshman Olivia Kim is more experienced as she has been playing lacrosse since fourth grade. “I plan on continuing my career in lacrosse and play all through high school because I love the sport and know that I can succeed in the sport and hope to be on varsity in the upcoming years,” Kim said.

Slow starts have been common for girls’ lacrosse. Last season they started out 0-3 before going on a three-game winning streak, and closing out the season on a 5-1 run.

Kim wants to expand her relationship with the players just like her relationship with the coaches. “The coaches are very encouraging and get right to the point. They always push me to do my best and play my hardest,” Kim said.