Boys’ volleyball returners ready for new challenge

The Patriots are ready to build on a successful last season where they fell to the two time defending state champion Walter Johnson in the county semifinal.

Senior captain and middle hitter Liam Hall is excited for the upcoming year. “Our returning players are club players so they’ve been practicing throughout the year. I think we will have a good season,” Hall said.

One player who is ready to make a big impact this season is senior setter Kevin Jordan. Jordan was one of the better players on the team last year and is now taking on a bigger role in his senior season. Last year, Jordan was an outside hitter and since the setter from last season graduated Jordan decided to take on the coveted position. “I know it will be hard, but I’m ready to be the setter this year,” Jordan said.

The expectations are high this year because of the core returners of Hall, Jordan, senior setter Nathan Yen and sophomore libero Luis Perez. These four returners should carry most of the load for the Patriots, as they did in the prior season.

The Patriots opened up their season with a scrimmage against Churchill on Mar. 15, winning in four sets. Hall and Jordan led the way, leading the team with ten points each in the scrimmage. Hall was able to manuever the net well, scoring from all sides of the net. Jordan was able to score at will by doing his damage from the middle of the floor. Hall was impressed with his team’s performance. “I was extremely excited with our performance. We beat a good team,” Hall said.

The Patriots play Northwood at home on Mar. 21 at 5:30.