Girls’ lacrosse struggles in scrimmages, looks to work out kinks before regular season begins

The girls on varsity lacrosse are ready to take on the season after a long series of tryouts that took place on Mar. 1, 2, 4, and 5.

On Mar. 5, post tryouts, team placements were made, bringing the team together. “Tryouts were super difficult and tiring, but worth it once I had been placed on varsity. I am super excited for games to start and can not wait to see what the season has in store for us,” sophomore Kelly Baldwin said.

Practices for the varsity team take place every day after school from 2:45 to 4:45 p.m., with games scattered throughout the weeks. “We practice a lot in order to be well prepared for our games, which gets tiring, but I always love being with the team and getting ready for future games and scrimmages,” junior Kadian Griffin said.

Scrimmages began on Mar. 7, with an away scrimmage against private school Sidwell Friends, followed by a scrimmage at home against Quince Orchard on Mar. 11. On Mar. 13, the Patriots took on another scrimmage at Bethesda Chevy Chase. The Patriots have lost all three scrimmages so far. “I like scrimmaging because it helps prepare us for the actual season. I am really excited for this season because I know it is going to be great,” sophomore Ella McGrath said.

On , Mar. 14, varsity lacrosse came together for meet the coaches night followed by picture night. “I am excited for meet the coaches night because it is a good chance to be with the team and get to know the coaches before the season starts. It is weird to think this will be my last ever picture night on lacrosse, but I am excited for the season, and hope the best has been saved for last,” senior Lily Greenberg said.

This season, the girls will play schools such as Holy Child, Walter Johnson, Richard Montgomery, Quince Orchard, Northwest and Churchill.

The Patriots official season began yesterday, with an away game against Holy Child at 4:15 p.m., followed by the first home game on Mar. 27, against Walter Johnson. “I can not wait for the first game because game days are always something to look forward to. As this will be my first year playing on varsity, I feel excited and ready for something new. I love having themes and showing team spirit as well as gathering with my team for team breakfast, and preparing to play well at games,” junior Madison Linn said.