JV Girls’ Soccer: Low on fuel: girls fall to Rockets

After time to rejuvenate during a long summer’s break, the grind and the chance to make the school look good returns for all fall sports.
One of the more successful teams during the last fall season was JV girls’ soccer. Last season, under the leadership of both Cabin John teacher and soccer coach, Adrian Unger, the team was able to pull out an impressive 7-2 winning season. “The team did exceptionally well working together and represented Wootton with dignity and class,” Unger said. “But more importantly, the girls made me proud to be their coach.”
After a five-day tryout period, along with one scrimmage, Unger has put together the best team possible to prepare for the road ahead. This year’s team is a fairly young one, with the majority of players freshmen and only eight sophomores. In addition to the squad he selected, he also pulled up two underclassmen, one sophomore and one freshman, to play with the varsity team.
Now with a new season ahead of them under the same leadership, the girls are looking to repeat their winning season and represent the school in the best way possible. Unger believes that their success will be based on how quickly the team can come together and create personal goals for themselves that will benefit the team. “My primary hope is that all the girls challenge themselves to become even better soccer players and achieve the personal goals they set for themselves during the summer,” Unger said.
The girls have had a rough start to the season as they had to face a tough Richard Montgomery squad, to which they fell 1-2 in overtime. “The team worked really hard together to try and get a win, but in the end it wasn’t enough,” sophomore Mollie Greenberg said. So far the girls are 0-1 on the season, but they won’t let that bring them down as they look to bounce back next week when they face arch rival, Churchill on Sept. 13.

Alex Bellot

Sports Editor