Fall sports had highs, lows

This year, some of the fall sports had great seasons, while others were not as successful.

The boys’ varsity soccer team had a great season with an overall record of 11-0-2. With the team being lead by senior captains Nick Bonilla, Justin Dasuki and Devansch Mishra, the boys fought hard in every game and ended up going the whole season without a loss. That is until the section finals of the playoffs when they hit a hard loss of 3-2 from the Gaithersburg Trojans.

The team was lead by top scorers, juniors Andy Ram and Alec Wroblewski. Ram had 12 goals and Wroblewski had eight. Ram describes his season with this team as,“a really good experience and I hope the team can go even farther in the playoffs next year.”

Unlike the boys’ soccer team, the girls’ varsity soccer team had a bit more of a bumpy season. The girls fought hard in every game, but were unable to pull off most of the wins. When they got into the playoffs, the girls’ way of playing changed. Their intensity rose and the level of playing increased. “When the game against RM started we knew we have to prove ourselves, knowing we were the underdogs,” sophomore Zara Chavoshi said.

Earning the win after the traumatic experience they all witnessed when a referee died during their game against Richard Montgomery, the team finished strong to move onto the next round against Clarksburg. In the game against the Coyotes, the girls finished the game on top after a round of penalty kicks. With the winning shot by sophomore Leah Starr, the team was able to move onto the section finals against Quince Orchard. The Cougars got the win against the Patriots 1-0. Overall, the girls ended their season strong having overcome a lot of obstacles.

Another sport with a good season was field hockey, with an overall record of 9-4. Field hockey stood their ground and made it through the first round of playoffs with a win against Richard Montgomery. Then in the second round, they took a hard loss to the Churchill Bulldogs in double overtime with a score of 1-0. “This season was really exciting so hopefully we can make it even better next year,” junior Alexa Kantor said.

Football is always the sport to watch, with Friday night lights and all. The football team has struggled, and this year showed that. The team won some, and lost some, but in the end were not able to make it to the playoffs. The boys are losing many seniors this year but hope to be ready next year without quarterback Noelly Miller and other seniors who made an impact on the team.
Although football may have had a tough season, the cheerleading team had a great run at counties and regionals. After earning second at counties, they awaited performing at regionals.

Even though they killed it, they were not able to get into the top 10 to move onto states. “With having such a small team, I think we did the absolute best we could,” junior captain Antonia Roach said.

The cross country team also had a good season winning most of their meets and both girls and boys doing well enough to make it to the state championship meet. The girls earned sixth place, and the boys got ninth. “It was a great season overall. While we didn’t get the place we wanted at states we still did really good as a team,” junior Jessica Penry said.

This year, the varsity golf team had a great season as well by getting fourth place in the state championship. “Although we didn’t do as well as we hoped, it was a good season and I’m thankful for my four years with this team,” senior Noah Siman said.