New coach ready to lead freshmen girls’ basketball team to successful season

The JV girls’ basketball began their tryouts on Nov. 15, hoping to find the best team possible. The team ended with only two wins last year, but are hoping for different results this year. With a new coach, the offense and defensive intensity should come.

Last year’s unsuccessful season lead some of the players to decide not to try out again this year. Sophomore Maya Erd decided to focus on priorities other than basketball, but she is optimistic for the team this year. “The incoming freshmen play club and are serious about basketball,” Erd said. “It is time for the freshman to lead the [JV] team.”

The team is filled with freshman and the excitement is there. “We are prepared and it is going to be so much fun,” freshman Maya Seiler said.

The team practices five to six days a week and competes in 11 games throughout the season. The new coach, Gile Tally, is qualified and is expected to lead the team to a better record than last year. The coach last year did not understand the implications of the job. Coach Ozzie Smith was caught on his phone and eating during halftime instead of coaching the girls. “I struggled to find a reason to play, and did not understand the lack of coaching,” sophomore Leah Starr said.

Tally has experience and is excited to coach “a talented group with lots of potential.”

The tryouts went as planned and the team is now focused on their first game against Magruder on Dec. 5. The Patriots lost to the Colonels last year, but are feeling better about their chances this year. The motivation and confidence have already increased from last year. “I’m excited to improve and win throughout the season,” freshman Karyssa Pete said.

The freshman are hoping to adjust to the more aggressive high school play. Coach Tally has been preparing the girls in practice and is thrilled to begin his first year as a coach. With his previous background in basketball, Tally will be a beneficial part of the team.