Successful season ends in shutout loss for field hockey

Miller Romm
opinion editor

The field hockey team started the playoffs off with a bang. After a long week of practice, the girls were prepared to take on a tough Richard Montgomery Rockets team on Oct. 25.

Coming off two straight wins in demanding order, the girls had full confidence and believed this was just this start of their long playoff run. “We felt as if nobody could beat us, it was only the beginning,” junior Alexa Kantor said.

Both defenses showed up in the first half. The Patriots and the Rockets remained even at 0-0 until late in the first half when senior Kayla Hill put the Patriots on top. The relentless Rockets defense was beat off a penalty corner. The half ended 1-0, but the Patriots felt as if the game was only one goal from over. “We felt in control most of the half, and it was just a matter of time before we were going to put it away,” sophomore Jamie Stern said.

The squad came out firing in the second half, scoring very quickly to make it 2-0. The defense for the Rockets had completely broke down, and the Patriots took advantage. Senior captain Chloe Perel scored again and pushed the game out of reach with little time left in the half. The scoring finally stopped after sophomore Quinn Lugenbeel scored and put the game away. The Patriots left with a commanding win 4-0.“It was a great team win, but now we are onto Churchill,” Lugenbeel said.

The squad was ready to take on the Bulldogs on Oct. 29, since it was a chance to win and play in the regional final.

The game began with another defensive showdown, as both offenses were kept to zero. The half progressed and both teams consistently got denied by the stellar defenses. The half ended 0-0, and the tightness of the playoffs increased nerves. The second half began and both sides had chances. The goalies remained strong and the score stayed even. “Our defense was amazing and being behind net was fun,” sophomore goalie Amanda Schless said.

The tight playoff game continued and the ball stayed near half field. Neither of the squads could get on the board and overtime came. Both sides felt the playoff atmosphere and knew one goal could determine their season. Overtime is 10 minutes, and the defenses remained strong. The Bulldogs had the ball near the goal, with the Patriots defense at its heels. Eventually the Patriots cleared the ball and kept the game going. “We had to overcome a hard situation, so we felt like we could stop anything,” sophomore defender Laura See said.

The Bulldogs finally came through and pushed the ball past Schless. That was the end of the Patriots season, a 1-0 defeat. “It was fun being on this team, and I am so sad it is over,” senior captain Avery Breen said.

The girls ended with a 9-4 record on the season.