Football team rebounds after rough start

Ethan Reff
senior sports editor

The Patriots have bounced back after starting the season 1-4. The team has rattled off two big wins, scoring 45 points in victories over Springbrook and BCC to put their current record at 3-4. While these two opponents were not the strongest, the Patriots were able to finally put together two complete games in a row.

Senior Alex Cohen is happy to see the progress that the team has made since the half season mark. “Since starting 1-4, I think we all have worked very hard to get back to playing like we are capable,” Cohen said.

One player who has made a big impact on defense so far this season is senior linebacker Greg Urovsky. Urovsky is a rookie on this year’s team and hadn’t played football since elementary school prior to this year. But Urovsky is no stranger to varsity athletics. He plays guard and forward on the basketball team and is expected to be the starting catcher on the baseball team this spring. Urovsky also played varsity handball in his freshman year. All of this experience adds up to four full seasons of varsity athletics.

Urovsky believes that his experience playing other sports at a high level has helped him be the effective linebacker that he is today. “If I didn’t play all of the other varsity sports that I have, I wouldn’t be used to the pressure that comes with playing at a high level,” Urovsky said.

This summer, Urovsky made it a priority to get stronger to allow him to play at his best this fall. While working out on his own and going to training camp, he was also playing on a travel baseball team. However, it doesn’t seem like playing baseball in the summer has hindered his performance this season. So far on the year he has 45 total tackles with one sack and one pass deflected. Urovsky credits the work he put in the summer for the success he has had thus far. “The work I put in the summer is a big reason why I am playing well this season,” Urovsky said.

The Patriots took on Springbrook at home on Oct. 5 for their annual homecoming game winning 45-7. The offense was clicking on all cylinders, scoring a season high. Senior running back Matt Amobi had a big game on the ground racking up 205 yards and two touchdowns. Sophomore quarterback Kyler Hamlin was efficient completing 13-18 passes.

The team then went on the road to face BCC on Oct. 12. After trailing at halftime they were able to win 45-19. Senior Noelly Miller did a little bit of everything, completing 7-8 passes for 165 yards and two touchdowns, having six receptions for 110 yards and a touchdown and adding 44 yards and two touchdowns on the ground. In total, he finished with five touchdowns. Senior receiver Aaron Strauss also added seven receptions for 117 yards and a touchdown.

The team took on Walkersville on Oct. 19, too late to be covered in this issue.