Varsity Boys Soccer: Dominant play gives team confidence as undefeated streak continues

Dev Zoks
sports editor

The Patriots were up 1-0 after a goal scored by senior Greg Garcia on Sept. 22, a sunny Saturday afternoon against Richard Montgomery. A RM center back was driving down the field before he got fouled.

That set up a big penalty kick for the Rockets, giving them a chance to tie the game. The Rocket set up the ball to take the kick. Silence filled both crowds as he went to take to the kick. The ball was hit sharply to the bottom left corner, but junior goalkeeper Matthew Kopsidas used every inch of his body to save the ball from going into the goal, as it deflected off Kopsidas’ hand and then off the post.

The Patriots went to win the game 2-0 with another goal scored by Garcia and a clutch penalty kick save by Kopsidas. “It felt really good being able to save the penalty kick. I’m happy I could help our team secure the win,” Kopsidas said.

After the win against RM, the Patriots had a big game on Sept. 24 at home against Gaithersburg, one of the strongest teams in the county. Gaithersburg was up 1-0 until junior Andy Ram headered a ball into the upper left corner to equalize the game. The game ended in a tie, 1-1. “I think we did a great job against one of the strongest teams in the county, and I think we proved ourselves tonight,” Ram said.

On Sept. 27, the boys were supposed to play at Quince Orchard, but the game got moved to home due to the rain. It was a cold day with the rain falling down hard as the boys took on QO. With two early goals by junior Alek Wroblewski and junior Griffin Ford, and two late goals by Ram and junior Gabe Pernie, the Patriots won easily, 4-0. “It was hard with the weather conditions we were playing in, but overall a good win,” Wroblewski said.

At home on Oct. 1 the boys took on Northwest. Ram took over early by scoring two goals to take a 2-0 lead. Later in the game Pernie scored his second goal of the year to extend the lead. The boys ultimately won 3-0 with another goalless game by Kopsidas. This was the fifth game of year where Kopsidas did not give up any goals, and has only given up three goals in total out of eight games.

Currently, Ram is leading Montgomery County in scoring with eight goals.