JV Girls’ Soccer: Team emerges with close win over Gaithersburg

Sarah Levine
staff writer

It’s a Monday night, rain pouring down, under the bright stadium lights at Gaithersburg. On Sept. 24, the JV girls’ soccer team took on the Trojans and finished strong with a 2-1 win. With a goal off a cross from sophomore captain Anya Biljani and a hard shot from freshman Darae Kang, the girls came out on top.

After the game against Gaithersburg, coach Adrian Unger pulled up sophomore captain Leah Starr. She is one of main goal scorers from JV and Unger hopes she will bring that to the varsity team.

Later that week, due to weather complications, both the JV girls’ and boys’ games against Quince Orchard on Sept. 27 were cancelled. This was a let down for the team because playing the Cougars always brings lots of intensity from both schools. “I was mad that the QO game got cancelled because it’s so fun being really focused on the game and really wanting to win against one of our biggest rivals,” sophomore captain Sarah Woodward said. The game has not been rescheduled.

The team has been improving since the start of the season and so far have a record of 3-2. “I think we’re doing really well and can keep it up for the rest of the season,” freshman goalie Jamie Reyer said.

This year’s season, sixteen freshmen are on the team. Most of the players moved up to varsity so this young team and the sophomores from last year are adjusting to this change. With the season about halfway through, the girls have learned to play together on and off the field. “I like my team and we’re playing well together so far and I know we can keep it up for the rest of the season,” sophomore captain Anya Biljani said.

The coach of the JV team, 2013 Wootton graduate Cara Traub, has adapted quickly to the coaching mentality along with bringing his own. With help from the varsity coach, Traub has created an atmosphere of playing soccer as a unit and learning for everyone. She has preached teamwork and communication and so far it has been paying off for the Patriots. “Coaching this team has been really fun and I hope I’m able to do it again in years to come,” coach Traub said.

The next game was supposed to be on Oct. 1 against Northwest, but due to weather conditions it was cancelled. The game on Oct. 3 was played too late to be included.