New coach brings hope to team

Throughout their off-season, mostly in the winter, the Patriots spent the time preparing for the regular season. Whether it was conditioning or pitching practice, the girls were working hard to become better players. “I think we can beat any team as long as we put our minds to it, we’re all connecting well on and off the field, which is good,” senior captain and pitcher Meredith White said.

Going into their preseason workouts, the team knew that their previous coach, English teacher Alton Lightsey, would not be coming back. Taylor Stockinger was named the coach of the team. Stockinger used to help coach at Sherwood. She brings a lot of knowledge to the team about the sport of softball, which should guide them to a successful season.

This year’s team carries three seniors, five juniors, one sophomore, and three freshmen. The captains for this season are White, senior Alyssa Robinson, and senior Estelle Casper. They were most looking forward to playing the Northwest Jaguars and the Clarksburg Coyotes. These two teams would be tough competition for the Patriots, but with the talent that they have on their roster this year and through the guidance of Stockinger, they were hopeful that they would come away winning these two games.

The team opened up its first game of the season against the Blake Bengals on April 4 at home. This was a close game, but the Patriots came away winning 8-7. The following day, the Patriots welcomed the Damascus Hornets. Yet again, this was another close game for the Patriots, but they lost this game 4-3. Up next for the Patriots was their rival Churchill Bulldogs. This game took place on April 6, when the Patriots travelled to Churchill. The Patriots dominated, winning 14-4.

On April 9, the Patriots welcomed the Springbrook Blue Devils to their field. The Patriots shined in this game, winning 10-0. Next, the Patriots traveled to Richard Montgomery to play against the Rockets. The Patriots won this game 6-0. Then on April 13, the Patriots played in a make-up game against the Magruder Colonels, away. The Patriots showed their strengths when they won this game 22-0.

Sophomore catcher Shannon Roberts went for a cycle in this game. A cycle is when a player hits a single, double, triple, and home run in the same game, a huge accomplishment.

White pitched these three shutout games for the Patriots. “The season is going really well so far we are playing great together as a team and bonding really well,” junior left fielder Crystal Bridge said.

The following day, the Patriots played on the road at Quince Orchard against the Cougars. This was a tough game for the Patriots, as they lost 15-9. On April 17, the Patriots traveled to Gaithersburg to battle against the Trojans. The Patriots lost to the Trojans 5-3, in a competitive game.

Up next for the Patriots were the Jaguars on Apr. 19. Apr. 21, the Coyotes traveled to the Patriots, for a 2 p.m. game. The Patriots knew that they were coming into this game facing tough competition, and that was held up, as the Patriots lost 5-2.

On April 24, the Patriots were supposed to travel to Silver Spring, to play against the Blair Blazers. Due to rain, the game was cancelled. The make-up date for this game was set for April 25, at Blair at 7 p.m..

This game got cancelled yet again, due to rain, and has been rescheduled to April 27. “I am really looking forward to playing as a team and progressing as a team as the season goes on. I cannot wait for the rest of the season,” freshman right fielder Maya Erd said.

The Patriots’ next game was on April 26 against Whitman, too late to be covered in this issue.

Jill Geline

Senior Sports Editor