Boys Tennis: Strong schedule ahead has team working

The boys’ tennis team is off to a good start with their first win against Watkins Mill. They played Watkins Mill on Mar. 23 away. They won 4-0 as Watkins Mill only had four players.

Aside from dominating in their first game, they finished 3-0 in their scrimmages. They scrimmaged Georgetown Prep, Landon, and River Hill. These three games were good warmups for their upcoming season and heavy schedule.

The Patriots have only been able to play one game so far due to rain, snow and other weather conditions. They have been practicing and getting ready every since their Watkins Mill game. “We haven’t played many games yet, but we have been preparing for the upcoming season,” sophomore Daniel Zhang said.

The Patriots have a lot of young talent with both freshmen and sophomores on the team and also starting. The starters for singles are senior Joseph Brailovsky at singles one, sophomore Daniel Zhang at singles two, junior Nick Hunyuh at singles three and sophomore Alex Ye at singles four.

The starters for doubles are freshman Ryan Meyers and freshman Miley Feldman at doubles one, senior Andy Xiao and sophomore Simon Hunyuh at doubles two and seniors Eric Feng and Justin Sludd at doubles three.

The Patriots are coming off an impressive season last year going 12-0. During those 12 games they beat Churchill, Whitman and WJ, who are some of the best teams in the county. They will be playing these teams again these year. With help from some young talent they hope to not only beat these teams, but have another impressive season.

The Patriots not only went 12-0, but one of their best players, Brailovsky won singles in the states tournament last year for the third time in a row. He is looking to make a run for his fourth along with other young players hoping to get a chance at a ring.

New to the team this year are freshmen Ryan Meyers, Mikey Feldman and Alec Jung. They are looking to help a already powerful team complete another dominate season. “It is good to have them on the team. I hope they can help us win some games and hopefully we can have another good season,” Ye said.

The Patriots are led by social studies teacher Fevronia Cresham. Along with practices six days a week many members of the team play for their club teams during the season. This is a way for players to get even more practice and play against different competition.

When the Patriots don’t have practice or their practice gets canceled many team members go to their club teams to make sure they get some practice in. “I like practicing with my club team when we don’t have practice because it allows me to still get some practice in, so I’m ready for our games,” sophomore Samir Patankar said.

Conor Walsh