Boys Tennis: Dominating first scrimmage leaves high hopes for rest of season

The boys’ tennis team started off their season with a 7-0 scrimmage win against Georgetown Prep on March 9. The team is coming off an impressive season where they saw one of their team members win a state championship. The team is known for dominating their opponents, and that’s what they did in their first scrimmage.

The team traveled to Georgetown Prep to play seven matches. They had four team members playing singles and three pairs playing doubles. Senior Joseph Brailovsky, who started at singles one and won states last year for singles, started off the day with the Patriots’ first win. He matched up against Georgetown’s singles one player and was able to put the Patriots on the leaderboard first. Sophomore Samir Patankar, who plays doubles, said, “it was nice to see Joseph win the first match because it gave us the momentum for the rest of the matches.”

After Brailovsky, sophomore Daniel Zhang, junior Nick Hunyh, and sophomore Alex Yeh matched up against Prep’s next best singles players. All three of the remaining singles players were able to win their matches and bring the Patriots to a 4-0 lead for the scrimmage.

Yeh said, “Winning my first match of the season was nice, but we still have a long season ahead of us.”

Freshmen Ryan Meyers and Mikey Feldman started at doubles one. Senior Andy Xiao and sophomore Simon Hunyuh started at doubles two and senior Eric Feng and senior Justin Slud started at doubles three.

All three pairs came out with a win in their first time paired up together in a scrimmage.

Simon Hunyuh said, “Playing doubles with Andy and winning our first match was cool, but I was glad the whole team was able to get a win.”

All seven singles and doubles matches were in favor of the Patriots as the team overpowered Georgetown Prep. The Patriots have had a lot of success not only last year, but also for years before that. Their success is led by coach and social studies teacher Fevronia Cresham. The Patriots’ young and ever-growing team is also a reason for their repeating success.

The Patriots will be looking for some of their players to make a run at states again this year and look to be a powerful force this year in Montgomery County. Brailovsky is also looking to make his fourth straight appearance at States and hopes to bring home his fourth state championship. The team has four scrimmages to get ready for their season opener on March 21. They will be playing Watkins Mill away.

They will be looking to see how their team looks in their first match together, but they will also be trying to start their season off 1-0.

Conor Walsh