Softball: Team uses late push to prepare for deep playoff run

After their win over Magruder on Mar. 24, the girls have played very well.  The team currently holds a positive 7-2 record and looks to keep on racking up wins as they head onto the weeks ahead.
On Mar. 28, they taveled to Springbrook where they took on the Blue Devils. The girls came out of the game successful with a 8-4 win over their opponents, keeping them undefeated so far in their season at 2-0.
When it was time face the Quince Orchard Cougars back home on Mar. 30, the girls looked to defend their undefeated streak in what was a challenging game.
The teams were all square at 2-2, and both teams battled in the final inning to take the lead over one another.
Things didn’t move as planned for the Patriots and they went down by another two runs, ultimately losing to a final score of 4-2.  “It sucks to take a good team like QO all the way to the last inning tied, and not come out with win,” senior captain Georgia Bartels-Newton said.  “It was unlucky and we will keep our heads high for the next one.”
After breaking their winning streak, the girls focused on bouncing back on a winning track when they prepared to face Northwest on Apr. 3.  The competition didn’t get easier in the slightest bit as the Jaguars are a team that is one of the top in the division, with an overall record of 7-2.
The Jaguars came out strong from the start and took a four-run lead in the first inning, causing the Patriots to work from behind once again.  Thanks to a strong Patriot outfield, Northwest remained scoreless for the entirety of the second.
Unfortunately, the girls were overwhelmed by their opponents, leading them to give up runs in three consecutive innings until the Jaguars reached 11. The Patriots were unable to find their momentum and the girls remained down by 11 until the end of the game.
The girls went into their next game at Gaithersburg on Apr. 5, determined to gain back that positive record that they are hungry for.
The other four runs in the final inning sealed the Patriots’ 11-7 win.  This battle won by the Patriots put them in a good position for their next game and the players had a high morale.  “This was a really hard fought win against a good team so we are going into the next game on a good note,” junior Alyssa Robinson said.
Thier momentum showed in their next game against the Kennedy Cavaliers on Apr. 20. The girls commanded the game, resulting in a 18-2 win for the Patriots. Thier next game was against Einstein on Apr. 22, too late to be covered in this issue.

Alex Bellot

Sports Editor