JV Boys Basketball: Urovsky, Lvovsky and Co. look to hit stride

The team’s up and down season has continued as the team has struggled to string together wins in recent weeks as they fell to Churchill, responded with a win over Richard Montgomery, and then fell to Rockville, putting their season record at 4-5.
The Patriots looked to get their season record over .500 with a win against rival Churchill at home on Dec. 21. From the start, things weren’t going the way they wanted as shots weren’t falling and they struggled to control the tempo of the game. The Bulldogs capitalized on the Patriots missed shots and turnovers and made shots, extending their lead to double digits. The Bulldogs never looked back and defeated the Patriots by 15 in the rivalry game dropping the Patriots record to 3-4 on the season.
After getting time off for winter break, the team came out with energy in their Jan. 3 match-up against the Richard Montgomery Rockets. Looking to get to back to .500, the team knew this was an important game and one that they needed to win. The team battled as it was a back and forth game, but the Patriots extended their lead in the second half and were able to hold on 62-55 for an important team win. The team was led by sophomore captain Greg Urovsky, who had a monster day scoring 18 points and adding 12 rebounds in the double-double effort. Freshman Jack Lvovsky also played a key role in the win, scoring 16 points as he knocked down shots from all over the court. The scoring was spread out as the Patriots had four players in double figures as sophomores Liam Hall and Chris Vondas contributed double digit point totals as well as Urovsky and Lvovsky. This win brought the team to 4-4 on the season. “It was a good team win and our best execution game of the year,” Urovsky said.
Looking for consecutive wins, the Patriots traveled to take on the Rockville Rams on Jan. 10. The team allowed Rockville to control the pace of the game and they slowed down the tempo, which didn’t favor the Patriots. The Patriots were out executed by the Rams and they fell 49-44 dropping their record back to a game below .500. “It was a tough loss, but we will bounce back,” Lvovsky said.

Joey Voyta

Staff Writer