Swim and Dive: Successful season ends at state finals

The pool waves have now calmed as the State Swimming and Dive Championships have come to an end. The coed swim and dive team participated in the state final at University of Maryland College Park, Eppley indoor swimming facility and recreational center on Feb 24.

For the boys, Churchill had their first state title win for the Class of 4A/3A. For the girls, Sherwood won their second states title for the class of 4A/3A. For the overall event Wootton boys placed 12th, only scoring 78 points.The women’s team one-upped the men placing 11th for the overall event, with a score of 63 points. Senior Eric Lu finished the boys’ 500 yard freestyle in 4:52.61, ending in 18th place. Senior Jeffery Qin swam like a shark, placing ninth, finishing the 50 yard freestyle in 22.34. Junior Aaron Lazar finished the 100 yard butterfly race in 55.12, placing 16th. Junior Cece Zhao placed 12th in the women’s 200 yard IM, with a time of 2:18.22.
In the boys’ 200 yard medley relay, with a team consisting of freshman Leo Seen, sophomore Ryan Chen, senior Jonathan Yune, and Aaron Lazar, the boys placed 15th with a final time of 1:46.81. In the 200 yard Medley relay, with a team comprised of junior Rita Zhang, Cece Zhao, sophomore Joy Shi, and freshman Laura Chen, the girls showed out and placed 10th with a finals time of 1:53.96.

For the 200 yard freestyle relay, Qin, Lu, junior Jonathan Odim, and lazar dominated the pool placing seventh. With a final time of 1:30.64, the boys did not disappoint. For the women’s 200 yard freestyle relay, Zhang, Chen, Shi, and Zhao continued to shine after placing seventh. The girls shot through the pool and ended with a final time of 1:41.39.

Although the boys and girls did not win states, the season wasn’t one to sob over. There are many great feats that both teams accomplished, and the next season is just around the corner. “It was a great overall season. I’m sad that we didn’t come out on top, but next season will be even better,” junior Maddie Grainger said.

Player look to stay swimming in the pool even after the season is over. Working hard and staying dedicated all year long.
“This offseason everyone will work hard and come back better than ever. I’m sad that the season has ended but I’m not disappointed. The season was pretty good, I enjoyed it,” sophomore Evan McLaughlin said.

Aaron Strauss