Naima Cho-Khaliq: Training to be professional model

Photo by Afshin Photos
Junior Naima Cho-khaliq on the runway.

Junior Naima Cho-Khaliq started modeling in March 2023 for Chloana, a student-led organization for modeling created by freshman Chloe Ayissi-etoh. She worked with former Wootton student Savannah Rabin who is now a professional model.
Rabin was the biggest inspiration for Cho-Khaliq. “After seeing Savannah on Instagram traveling the world, modeling – she would always be in these amazing dresses and fun clothes – I was inspired to do the same. Because she was a high school student as well I felt more of a connection and gained confidence knowing I could accomplish the same things,” Cho-Khaliq said.

While trying to balance school, social life, and modeling, Cho-Khaliq experiences difficulties but manages to get everything done. “It is definitely hard to balance schoolwork when I have a show. Usually, I will be backstage for eight hours since there are a lot of models and we all need to get fitted and our hair and makeup done. Rehearsals can also be four to five hours, so my weekends are usually all booked up. I have found that bringing my backpack and computer to my shows and rehearsals help so I can get as much done when I have potential free time in the back,” Cho-Khaliq said.

Cho-Khaliq has had the opportunity to wear extravagant dresses and clothing. She has worn designer brands such as Corjor International, Rikaotobyme, Bruselivingart Apparel, Khalidathemodel and Ramona Designs. In addition to modeling for high fashion brands, Cho-Khlaiq also walked during the Washington Wizards showcase on Oct. 4, 2023.
Cho-Khaliq has found that her Instagram photos draw a lot of attention, “I have noticed that I get looked at differently both in good and bad ways. People will come up to me and tell me that they love my pictures and I really appreciate that part of it. At the same time, I feel like there is an expectation to be met, that I have to constantly look a certain way because I am a model, even though models are just normal people and are allowed to look like normal people sometimes,” Cho-Khaliq said.

Cho-Khaliq participates in both runway modeling and regular shoot modeling. She participated in D.C. Fashion Week in October 2023 and February 2024 at the National Housing Center. She also participated in the Minority Scholars Program retreat at Northwest High School in May 2023. “I prefer walking to shooting because even though it goes by quickly, I love the adrenaline rush and the way everyone cheers me on,” Cho-Khaliq said.

Being in the modeling world opens opportunities to make friendships and learn about fashion. “I got to meet a bunch of people who all model professionally. One person in particular who I had the privilege of meeting was Maggie Williams. She is a famous model. Most of the people I walk with are in their 20-30s so it is interesting to get a lot of information and tips on how to pursue modeling later on,” Cho-Khaliq said.

Cho-Khaliq credits her mother for the continuous support to keep applying for modeling gigs. Her mom drives her to and from fittings and shows. Teacher Julian Lazarus encouraged Cho-Khaliq to model in 2023 and gave information on how to get started in modeling and where to go after high school. Rabin also helped in the process after Cho-Khaliq felt lost in her first season.
Cho-Khaliq plans to continue her modeling career in hopes she’ll sign with an agency close to the college she commits to. She said she appreciates her friends for cheering her on every step of the way. “Most of her modeling passion came from herself and her parents because she was doing child modeling when she was younger but I always encouraged her to get back into it. I attend her runway shows and advise her to take up exciting opportunities that will grow her modeling career,” junior Naomi Negussie said.

Cho-Khaliq has received a lot of support in her modeling career from mentors. “When I first met Naima she already had a great start to modeling but it was very exciting to get her into D.C. Fashion Week because she got to meet some of the people I’ve been working with for the past few years and they adored her,” Rabin said.