Boys’ varsity lacrosse slides to 2-8 in tough season

Photo by Gurnoor Sodhi
Junior Miles Sklar (number 16) met with his teammates during the 21-6 loss to Blake. “It was a tough loss but I think we all know we were capable of much more,” freshman Caleb Cook said.

The boys’ varsity lacrosse team started off the year with a tough 15-2 loss to Churchill on Mar. 21 but quickly bounced back, getting a big win the next game against Kennedy 24-0 on Apr. 2.

The team had two more tough losses: a 14-3 loss to Damascus on April 4 and a 15-2 loss to Sherwood on Apr. 10. On Apr. 11 the team lost 5-4 to Blair and followed it up with a 21-6 loss against Blake on Apr. 13. Freshman varsity player Caleb Cook said, “I think our team has been struggling since the close loss from Blair and people have given up on us. The team has been down recently but we’re on the uprise from here.”

The team had a big 15-0 bounce back win against Watkins Mill on Apr. 15. Prior to the game, head coach Ralph Bernardo received a suspension and will not coach the team for the rest of the year. Junior varsity coach Ben Lee has stepped in as varsity coach for the remainder of the season. Athletic director Alton Lightsey declined to comment on the reason for Bernardo’s suspension but confirmed he is no longer the coach. “Losing Ralph is a big loss but this team is very strong and Lee is also a great coach and we can persevere without him,” Cook said

The team was looking to turn it around going into the game against Quince Orchard on Apr. 20 despite the mid-season coaching change but the team lost in a close 6-3 game. They faced off against Magruder on Apr. 23 and lost 9-7. The team followed it up with another close 8-6 loss to Richard Montgomery, making the team’s record 2-8 going into their game against 4-5 Rockville on May 1.

The JV team started the season off against rival Churchill on Mar. 21 and had a hard fought 2-2 tie at the end of regulation. The team followed it up with a 9-2 loss to Sherwood on Apr. 10. They team pushed forward and got a 9-8 win against Blair and carried the momentum to a big 9-2 win against Blake on Apr. 15. Freshman goalie Benedict Santos said, “I think the team has been able to be really successful this year because we are playing as a team really well and everybody has energy going into every game.“

The team earned another dominant win vs Watkins Mill 21-1 on Apr. 16. After a 10-4 win against Quince Orchard on Apr. 20, the team beat Magruder 9-5 and beat Richard Montegomery 5-2 in the team’s last game of the season. The team ended the year with an impressive 6-1-1 record, showing the lacrosse program has a bright future. Freshman Benedict Santos, Max Lee, and Blake Williams as well as sophomores Aadi Chaudhari, Justin Heller, Kwan Lee and Grant McGraw.