Wootton from the outside looking in

Photo by Noah Friedman
Common Sense usually focuses on the perspectives of those within our building, as it should. But there are dramatically different opinions about the school from external sources. What do they think of Wootton?

Sometimes journalists get a little tired of the same old routine. Sure, our school newspaper should focus on our school’s stories, people and perspectives. But let’s push pause on that for just one article and explore some new perspectives on our community. Come along with me and we will take a look at how this school looks to future students, nearby observers and even the school’s biggest rivals.

When thinking about a school, academics are often the first thing that comes to mind. This school is regarded as one of the best public schools in the country. That is also the view held by students around the county. “I know a few people that go to Wootton and they are all good students with straight A’s. So I’d say you’re pretty good academically,” Northwest sophomore Josh Ingram said.

However, others believe that the high quality education is a product of the county we are in, thus not unique to our school. “I’ve heard it’s a smart school, but most schools here are. It’s pretty standard for a public school in the area but I’d say Churchill is on top. Whitman’s also better,” Bullis School junior Yoni Eyal said.

Moreover, our focus on academics can lead to generalizations about our student body. “I hear that you guys have very good academics. But I feel like you guys are a little stuck up,” Magruder junior Giovanni Ogwuni said.

Our school has a diverse student body and we celebrate that fact. According to U.S News, 60 percent of students here are from a minority group. The perception seems to match the statistics. “I have always thought that there is a very diverse student body at Wootton and in the Wootton cluster,” Frost seventh grader Carlie Cook said.

The diversity extends beyond just race. There are a variety of activities, ideas and programs that are valued by students. Future students are also able to get a taste of what the school has to offer. “In general, there are a lot of opportunities for students to belong to different clubs and organizations that go out in the community,” Cook said.

Much of the building has not been renovated since the school opened in 1970. Students and staff have advocated for much-needed updates to the infrastructure. However, the sports facilities are what grab visitors’ attention. “I’ve been there a few times and it’s a good campus with a good field,” Ogwuni said.

Athletics is another area that is important to both those inside and outside of the school. Despite the recent success of boys’ basketball, girls’ volleyball, tennis, swimming, bocce and cross country, our reputation as a weaker sports school remains. “You guys kind of suck. I mean your basketball is good but aside from that your sports are very underwhelming,” Ogwuni said.

Regardless of performance in sports, rivalries like the Wootton-Churchill one has been preserved through competition. Even though the intense battles feature heated exchanges and trash talk, Churchill leadership believes the rivalry is still in good nature. “After games, you always see players from opposing sides talking to each other and catching up. Nonetheless, having a rival builds excitement and energy around events,” Churchill Assistant Principal Dr. La Faye E Howard said.

Perhaps the most important aspect of any school is its culture. In many ways Wootton culture mirrors that of our neighboring schools and the rest of MCPS. “Environments at both Churchill and Wootton work towards maintaining a culture of respect for others, and if there is something that occurs that threatens the physical or emotional safety of students – it is addressed,” Howard said.

Others in the county do not share this same viewpoint. Assumptions about Wootton’s identity are made whether accurate or not. “When it comes to your culture. I feel like it’s all snobby white kids,” Ogwuni said.

The opinions about the school from outside sources predictably varied. But at the end of the day, the most important perspective is internal. The opinions that the Wootton community hold on academics, athletics, culture, student life, staff and infrastructure are the basis of the school’s identity.

Former student and current choral director and a capella teacher Keith Schwartz understands this as well as anyone. “Underneath an old school building and pressures of academics, the soul of Wootton is the real and genuine connections made between students and staff to prepare for life after high school, to push themselves out of their comfort zones, and to make memories they will remember forever,” Schwartz said.