DE vs. MD beaches: the debate continues

Photo by Siena McCarthy
Sunrise at Dewey Beach in Delaware. “I love to wake up for the sunrise at the Delaware beaches because the sun rises on the ocean,” junior Josie Spicer said.

The popular beaches around the Maryland area include the Delaware beaches of Bethany, Rehoboth, Dewey, Lewes, and Ocean City. People also enjoy the Outer Banks in North Carolina and the New England coasts. Based upon personal preference for which beaches are better, it’s common for people to go to these beaches during the summer for short visits or multiple weeks at a time.

As for the Delaware beaches, Dewey is filled with bars and is known for its nightlife, which tends to attract young adults rather than families. Rehoboth and Bethany both have laid back and family-friendly vibes. “I enjoy the Delaware beaches so much because the drive isn’t that far and all of my friends go for a lot of time in the summer so there’s always going to be people to hangout with,” sophomore Aadi Chaudhari said.

Rehoboth and Bethany both have boardwalks but Dewey does not, which might be a con. Rehoboth is right next to Dewey and has trolleys transporting people from town to town. Dewey is smaller than its neighbors, Rehoboth and Bethany. “I love being in Dewey because it’s not too crowded during the day and you can go to the boardwalk in Rehoboth at night,” junior Josie Spicer said.

In Maryland, the most popular beach is Ocean City, which is 10 miles long and has a boardwalk. This beach is family friendly and also has nightlife. “I think Ocean City has a little bit of everything and I love to visit. I like it more than the Delaware beaches,” sophomore Nathan Zweig said.

These aren’t beaches, but two other common places for trips in the summer are Deep Creek and various spots on the Chesapeake Bay like Annapolis. People may like the bay or lake trips more than being at a sandy beach. One pro of Dewey is that it borders the Indian River Bay so travelers can get the best of both worlds. “I think the Chesapeake Bay is fun to go to but I need to have a beach to spend my time at,” Spicer said.

People also spend summers in the New England area in places like Nantucket, while others enjoy going to the Outer Banks. The downside of beaches like these is that they are much further, yet some like them better. “I love the Delaware beaches but it feels more like a real vacation somewhere like the Outer Banks rather than just going to Delaware. I also love going to new places and it feels like I have seen everything at the Delaware beaches,” sophomore Mia Coven said.