Who do you trust: Senior assassin

Teamwork and planning are two essential strategies needed to survive in senior assassin.
Photo courtesy @woohoottonassassins24 on Instagram

Detailed planning, campouts and collaboration: These are just a few of the essential aspects needed to survive in senior assassin. Each year, seniors here compete against one another to remain the last one standing in a game in which one hit sends you out.

For the price of $4, seniors had the opportunity to participate in senior assassin. This game, which has a first place prize of over $400, consists in its simplest form of seniors attempting to “shoot” a predetermined target and become the ultimate winner. Beginning with a partner round on Apr. 2, this five-week game has brought excitement to the grade, and is progressing as more students eliminate their targets through careful planning, teamwork and complex strategies. While the game is not affiliated with the school and is student-run, seniors have actively participated.

Senior Sebastian Tejerina is one of the students participating in this year’s senior assassin competition and has enjoyed following and playing in the game.Tejerina said, “I was very excited to start playing senior assassin this year and hopefully hit my targets but I was not anticipating people putting so much effort into the game early on. I was followed by my assassins and was eliminated on day one. With the first round being in partners, I was hopeful to help get out targets but the game was unfortunately delayed. Even with this, it was overall a fun experience to be a part of and I enjoyed playing.”

With the point of the game being to eliminate your target and advance into the next round, it is vital for players to collaborate with one another to help each other stay alive in the game. Having the opportunity to strategize with one another has brought excitement and intensity to the game.

Senior Bilal Somji has enjoyed working with others to help locate targets and create strategies to advance in the game. Somji said, “Senior assassin has been a lot of fun due to the fact the game allows for collaboration with each other as we try and get our targets out. This game also helps bring people together with all the planning and work we are all doing as we try to hunt our targets.”

With the stakes in the game rising and more eliminations occurring, the intensity and focus have increased as players create plans to eliminate their target instead of being eliminated themselves. With the game reaching the individual stage after the conclusion of the partner rounds, individuals who remain in the game begin to feel the intensity and fear that comes with the progression of the game. “With the game continuing, there is still some fear and mistrust but it is exciting to hunt after your target,” Somji said.

Before the game reached the individual stage, repeated game rule violations by players led to a temporary pause in the game for close to a week, providing players the opportunity to drop out of the game as well as more strict guidelines before the individual stage began.
As senior assassin continues and more eliminations continue, those who remain can continue strategizing and planning to eliminate their target as they try to avoid being eliminated from the game.