Students take on the gym: Onelife vs. Lifetime

Photo courtesy Will Jong
On Mar. 19 senior Will Jong works out and hangs with friends at Lifetime. With his membership, he’s allowed access to all equipment every day.

After school, students are looking for ways to stay in shape and hang out with friends. Going to the gym is one of the most popular choices for high school students. So what gym do students prefer the most? The biggest gym rivalry going on right now is Onelife and Lifetime.

Onelife Gym and Lifetime Gym carry similar qualities for students, as they both have top-notch fitness facilities and thorough wellness programs.

Both gyms try to shape the community through sponsorships, partnerships and programs, and both establishments contribute to the health of members. Students have different opinions on which gym they prefer. “I like Lifetime because of everything in the gym and also outside the gym like the pools and the cafe,” sophomore Justin Heller said.

Onelife Gym is located in Rockville and is five minutes away from the school. This gym location is highly preferred by students, due to how local it is. The gym offers affordable swimming classes, personal training, explosive training, yoga classes, basketball, cardio classes and kids clubs. “I like Onelife because they have good equipment for the price,” junior Ryan Kaufman said.

Onelife encourages students to get a quick workout before or after school. Students from all grades love going to the gym with their friends even if it’s to play a 10-minute basketball game. “It’s a great friendly environment with a lot of Wootton students and I’m usually motivated to go because friends help me when I’m not,” freshman Samir Ako-Adjei said.

Lifetime is located in Rio, and students say they love going to this gym during the week after school. Lifetime is known for its training services. They offer space for birthday parties and private training sessions.

Lifetime staff work closely with members to develop workout plans, provide nutritional guidance and track progress over time. Students can also have fun while hanging out at Lifetime as there’s a basketball court, pickleball court, pool and kids club.

Memberships at Lifetime come with a higher price tag of $189 a month. However, members gain access to a wide range of services, including personal training, fitness assessments and specialized classes. “From a student view it can be a bit pricey but for the things they have to offer, it balances it out,” senior Will Jong said.

Onelife offers more flexible membership options, accommodating budgets and needs. People signing up to be members are offered two affordable options, Rockville basic for $42.99 a month, and Rockville Premier for $52.99. Memberships may include access to specific services or classes, allowing members to have a tailored experience. Onelife also runs promotions and discounts, making it more accessible.

Lifetime has a big facility, with personalized services, and all staff are committed to making sure members are satisfied with their fitness experience. Onelife is more appealing for students because of the location and the demographic of the age group that goes there, making it a more popular place. “I prefer Lifetime, I’m a cyclist and they always have charity events where you can cycle every day at a flexible time that fits around my teaching schedule, whereas the earliest class at Onelife is 8 a.m.,” photography teacher Afua Kyeremeh said.

The choice between Lifetime and Onelife comes down to individual preferences, priorities and budget considerations. Whether you prioritize luxury and personalized attention or value and accessibility, both gyms provide opportunities for achieving fitness goals and an advanced sense of community among members.