Baseball swings into spring

Photo courtesy Alex Grainger
Sophomore Max Scherr and sophomore Blake Graham exit baseball tryouts on Saturday, Mar. 2.

Sprinting through summer, fall, winter, and finally, back to spring again, baseball is finally making its long-awaited return. Last year, the team had 11 wins and eight losses, an above-average record for the league, but lost in the first round in a competitive division. As the school switched from Division 4A to Division 3A this year, fans and players alike wonder if the division move will be a positive change for the team.

Varsity baseball’s season saw a dramatic end to the season in their final game against Churchill in May of 2023 in the first round of the playoffs. Former senior Josh Erd was called out because of an illegal bat after walking at the top of the final inning, and the Patriots had a tying runner on third base in the bottom of the last inning who failed to reach home plate. Returning junior Matthew Kunst plays pitcher and center field. “It was a really tough loss and we thought we were better than that. We had a good regular season and we played really well, especially defensively, just to lose. We hope to do better this season,” Kunst said.

On Mar. 1, the team had its first day of tryouts. The day after, coaches made the first cuts to the team. The following Monday and Tuesday were the last days of tryouts, where final cuts were made. On Mar. 6, the finalized team had their first scrimmage against Walter Johnson. “I’m feeling good about tryouts and I think it’ll be fun to see where everyone is at in terms of development. It’s always good to be back on the diamond with the guys,” senior pitcher Noah Parker said.

Varsity coach and math teacher JD Marchand will be returning to coach the team again this year, along with some assistant coaches; the junior varsity coach is Matthew Peffer, and Rick Price is the pitching coach. “I think Marchand is a great coach and a great fit for this program. He cares about the team more than anyone and is always trying to help us be the best we can,” Parker said.

The team has been preparing for the season by working hard at pre-season workouts. “We’ve had winter lifts and conditioning twice a week since November and have bullpens once a week since January,” sophomore pitcher Kai Schmelzer said.

Members of the team intend to volunteer at the Miracle League of Montgomery County again. Miracle League is a national program that gives special needs children the opportunity to play in an organized baseball league. Kunst, Schmelzer and Parker all intend to return to the league. Kunst said, “Miracle League has been very fun to help out with and it’s great that we can help give opportunities for kids with disabilities to play baseball.”

The team has their home opener on Mar. 21 against Quince Orchard. “Please come and support us at home,” Kunst said.