Softball looks to start season off strong

Photo by Gurnoor Sodhi
Senior catcher Malia Schmelzer catches a ball during warmups. Schmelzer has enjoyed playing softball for the last three years and looks forward to a successful season ahead. “This season should be a lot of fun and I encourage people to come watch,” Schmelzer said.

After their first day of tryouts on Monday, Mar. 4, the softball team looks to start their season off strong, with their first scrimmage on Saturday, Mar. 9.

Despite a disappointing end to their season last year with a loss to Churchill in the first round of playoffs, the softball team is eager to get back on the field. “I am looking forward to our games this year and am excited to meet all of the new players,” junior third baseman McKenna Kupersmith said.

Last year the team had five seniors, including shortstop and pitcher Karen Potts who now plays softball for Case Western Reserve University. Sophomore Megan Lomotan, who was an outfielder on varsity last year, enjoyed the leadership and guidance the seniors provided. “The upperclassmen were amazing and they not only helped me with softball but were also just great friends in general. I looked up to them a lot,” Lomotan said.

In addition to losing graduating seniors, the team has lost former players to injuries, as well as other schools. Lomotan suffered an injury during the end of the winter basketball season, and former first baseman and outfielder junior Sam Shively transferred to Holy Cross to pursue her basketball career. This has led to the team struggling to find new players to replace the holes in their lineup. “Not as many girls have played softball compared to other sports. It’s been hard to find girls that are willing to try softball as a new sport,” senior catcher Malia Schmelzer said.

As the only returning varsity senior this year, Schmelzer has played a large part in getting the team ready for the season, running the team’s winter workouts as well as finding new players for the upcoming season. “I have really enjoyed getting ready for the season with the team through lifting, hitting, fielding, and simply getting to know both new and returning players more. I think trying to be more present is the most important part,” Schmelzer said.

In addition to the physical benefits of playing a sport, playing softball is a way to make new friends and meet people, according to Lomotan and Kupersmith. “Everyone is welcome to come try out for softball. It is a great sport to learn and a great team to play with,” Kupersmith said.

Setting aside the challenges the team has faced, they have enjoyed bonding with one another during their winter workouts, and look forward to a successful season ahead. “I am most looking forward to meeting new people and getting back on the field,” Schmelzer said.

After their scrimmages, the team faces off against Watkins Mill during their home opener on Mar. 21.

The team will continue their season with home games against Poolesville, Rockville, Whitman, Paint Branch, Magruder, Northwest, Quince Orchard and Walter Johnson. “This season should be a lot of fun and I encourage people to come watch,” Schmelzer said.