Varsity wrestling season comes to close

Photo courtesy @woottonpatriotswrestling
Wrestling concluded the Rockville Rumble tournament at Rockville High School with individual wins from John Bateky (7-2), Sebastion Valvida (6-3) Jake Kelley (6-2) and Miguel Uriarte-Giron.

The varsity wrestling team participated in a total of nine games and five tournaments this season. The season started off with a match at Poolesville, followed by a match against at Aberdeen. Aberdeen is where the Patriots shined, with seniors John Bateky (285 weight class) going 6-1, senior Dangelo Da’silva (215 weight class) going 8-0 and senior Timothy Yun (190 weight class) going 7-1.

The first tournament, Clash of Clark, was hosted at Tuscora High School on Dec. 27 and 28. Two wrestlers who were prominent at the tournament were junior Gavin Grange (128 weight class), who went 7-3 and senior Jake Kelly (165 weight class), who went 6-5. Despite this, the Patriots suffered a hard loss to Tuscora, (84-0). Following this was another hard loss to Magruder on Jan. 3. “We lost because some people weren’t in the right mindset, and towards the light weight division the other team had a state champion and some other state qualifiers,” senior Captain Argil Bilge said.

The Patriots had several athletes win at the Rockville Rumble Tournament on Jan. 5, hosted by Rockville. Athletes who excelled at the tournament included Bateky, who went 7-2, senior Sebastion Valvida (215 weight class), who went 6-3, Kelly, who went 6-2 and junior Miguel Uriarte-Giron (132 weight class), who went 5-4. Following this, was the tri-meet against Walter Johnson and Kennedy, hosted at Kennedy, where the Patriots met some stiff competition but pulled through.

The last tri-meet of the season was against Rockville and Richard Montgomery at home on Feb. 3. Da Silva said, “Against Rockville, we came out with a big win for the team, winning the division championship. Everyone pushed past their limits and pulled all together as a team.” This was a rewarding win for the team that raised spirits and ended the regular season on a high note. Da Silva said, “Against RM, we came a little short but pulled through.”

The regular season ended with the Patriots winning their division in spite of some hard losses throughout the season. Grange said, “Our season was successful because we won our division, bonded, and had a great season.” The team made sure to lift each other up during difficult games and tournaments and to stay positive.

Following the regular season is the post-season, which requires even more work and dedication. “Practice for regionals and counties is important, you want to be prepared,” Grange said. Plans for the team are to step up and improve training to be prepared for counties, regionals and states most of all.

“The county meet is for everyone and whoever places top six, or has enough points, they go to regionals. From there they go to states into a 32-man bracket,” senior Captain Argil Bilge said. Participants in the postseason are freshman Gianni Pizzi, junior Miguel Giron, junior Micheal Pizzi, Kelly, Valvida and Bateky.