Ice hockey team falls to B-CC in second round playoff exit

Photo by Gurnoor Sodhi
Senior defender Ilhom Abdulaev skates on the ice during the Patriots’ game against WJ. Abdulaev, along with junior Sam Hosier, led the team in scoring during the season, with a combined 84 points. “Wootton hockey will always be with me throughout the rest of my life,” Abdulaev said.

The ice hockey team lost to B-CC 10-4 on Feb. 9 in a disappointing end to the team’s playoff run and season.

The Patriots started the game off slow, giving up five goals in the first period. Trying to play from a deficit proved to be a challenge for the Patriots, as they conceded multiple penalties in the later stages of the game. “We weren’t ready to play, unlike the other team. They came out hot wanting to win. Also, it didn’t help getting so many penalties throughout the game,” senior forward and defender Ilhom Abdulaev said.

Despite the loss, there were positives the players took away. The Patriots’ four goals included two goals by junior star defender Sam Hosier, one by junior center Nathan Tai and one by Abdulaev. The Patriots also moved the puck around well, with one assist each from Abdulaev, Hosier and senior wing Grady Sellman. “I thought myself, Grady, and Ilhom played a pretty good game,” Hosier said.

Earlier in the playoffs, the Patriots defeated NW/QO (Northwest/Quince Orchard) 9-1, despite another slow start. After the first period, the Patriots were down 1-0, but came back in the next two periods, outscoring their opponents 9-0 with three goals each by Hosier and Abdulaev, and one goal each by Tai, sophomore wing Justin Heller and junior wing Mitchell Golub. “The QO playoff game was a fun game since we won by a large margin, but it started off a bit slow. We soon picked it up and ended up overwhelming the other team. Everyone played really well and we all had fun together in our first playoff game of the year,” Abdulaev said.

The five seniors, Sellman, Abdulaev, and defenders Timothy Yun, Armand Fallah and Cole Weber, have enjoyed their time in the program, and cherish the memories they have made throughout their time on the team. “I have had a great time playing Wootton hockey these past four years and Wootton hockey will always be with me throughout the rest of my life,” Abdulaev said.

Despite losing some seniors, the team looks to be in good hands next year, as Hosier expects to lead the team, along with Heller and freshman Jayden Ahn. “My goals for next season are to just improve overall as a player,” Ahn said.

Students have enjoyed going to hockey games this year, but do have some gripes regarding the location and timing of the games. “I think the games are a bit late and they would have attracted more fans if they were earlier. The games are farther than other places but I think it’s still manageable to get to them. Overall the games were really fun and it was fun to cheer for Wootton with my friends,” senior Kristina Khrimian said.

Standout players for the season include Abdulaev and Hosier. Throughout the 15 games they played this year, Hosier and Abdulaev combined for 84 points.

The Patriots ended the season 8-6-1.