Anish Yarra commits to run college track and field at University of Chicago

Photo by Momodou Drammeh
Senior Anish Yarra prepares for his event to begin at the Stands at Last Chance 757 meet in Virginia Beach on Jan. 27 .

Senior Anish Yarra recently announced his commitment to the University of Chicago to pursue his track and academic career. This upcoming spring will be Yarra’s fourth year on this school’s track and field team. Yarra is a jumper and sprinter but could join any relay in which he’s needed. Throughout his first three years of high school, Yarra has managed to maintain a 3.93 unweighted GPA to help him achieve his desired goals.

Yarra is known to be one of the hardest workers in the room wherever he is. Yarras’ close friends on the track and field team have nothing but positive things to say about their teammates. “Seeing him locked into practice motivated me on the field and also off the field,” senior Ryan Yang said.

Yarra’s commitment off the field allowed him to pursue his dreams at an academically strong program at the division three level. His dedication and strict regimen are nothing short of impressive. The majority of his sleep was frequently taken in naps, which would allow him to catch up on sleep missed from track and school. “I have my sleep schedule set for after track to take a nap till 8 p.m., then after I finish all my school work at around 3 a.m.,” Yarra said.

Yarra’s friends outside of track are familiar with and fond of his work ethic, having watched him grow into the student-athlete he is today. “I met Anish when he first went to Lakewood Elementary School in third grade,” Yang said.

Yarra’s range of school options he could attend was wide because of his dedication to his school work, opening doors for him. His persistence and desire to be recruited to a higher level were also important factors in his commitment. Yarra focused on sending loads and loads of emails out to college coaches, waiting for an opportunity for them to look at him. “I started emailing a lot of coaches and waited for them to respond,” Yarra said.

Yarra’s challenging course load also allowed for his ability of dedication and lack of procrastination to grow exponentially. Classes like Multivariable Calculus and AP Physics C were some of the harder classes he excelled in. “Doing work with Anish outside of class and working overtime really showed me the dedication he has in life,” senior Lucas Sossa said.

Yarra continues his streak of success with a successful indoor season. He leads all jumpers at the school with a 6’0” foot high jump, and a triple jump of 38’ 9” feet so far this indoor season. He plans on carrying his hot streak on to this upcoming spring season looking to break the school’s high and triple jump event.