Hockey team hopes for long run in playoffs

Photo courtesy woottonhockey Instagram
The ice hockey team celebrates senior night after a loss to rival Churchill Bulldogs on Jan. 7.

After a strong start, the Patriots hockey team continues to the second half of their season with 11 wins, seven losses and one tie. During the second part of the season; their losses were against Whitman, RAM (Rockville and Magruder), Churchill and Bullis.

The regular season ended on Friday, Jan. 26 with a final game against Walter Johnson. “It feels really good knowing that we are in the playoffs and I hope we go really far or get a win,” sophomore Justin Heller said.

The rivalry game against the Churchill Bulldogs on Jan. 5 was senior night for both teams, generating a large crowd and excitement from both fans and players. “Senior night was a tough game but I appreciated the work the team put in and we played a very good game. I am going to miss playing with this team when I graduate,” senior Cole Weber said.

The seniors who were celebrated at the Churchill game this season were Grady Sellman, who plays forward and Timothy Yun, Armand Fallah, Ilhom Abdulaev and Weber, who all play defense. Despite their loss, they played a tough game and enjoyed having fans watching from behind the glass. “I’ll miss the guys I played with. We made great memories, and hopefully going forward our team will continue to improve,” Yun said.

On Dec. 15, the team faced Sherwood, winning 12-6. This was a highlight for the team as they doubled their opponent’s goals. Additionally, the Patriots faced the Bullis hockey team on Dec. 7. Bullis was not considered a part of the regular season but was a close loss for the Patriots with a score of 5-4. The Patriots went on to tie private school St. Johns 6-6, which was also not considered part of their league regular season.

The game against Walter Johnson helps determine the future of the playoffs for the Patriots. Walter Johnson’s team won the state championship last season, and it was their first victory in 18 years. “I think the game against Walter Johnson will be very crucial to show how well we will perform in playoffs and I have high expectations for our team,” junior Nathan Tai said.