Wrestling team goes 3-6 in tough season

Photo courtesy Wootton wrestling Instagram
Wrestling alumni watch the current team at the Rockville Tumble tournament on Jan. 7.

The wrestling team has a record of 3-6 after suffering losses to Blair, BCC, Magruder, Churchill, Kennedy and Poolesville.

On Dec. 27 and 28, the Patriots participated in the first annual “Clash at the Creek” tournament hosted by Tuscarora High School. The team lost 84-0 to Tuscarora, who went 9-1 in the tournament. The wrestlers who shined at the tournament were senior Jake Kelley who, in the 165 weight class, went 6-4 and junior Gavin Grange, who had a record of 7-3 in the 128 weight class.

On Jan. 6 and 7, the Patriots had back-to-back tournaments while participating in the “Rockville Rumble” hosted by Rockville. This was a successful tournament for the Patriots as they had individual positive records. Senior captain John Bateky is in the 285 weight class and had a record of 7-2. Senior Sebastian Valdivia is in the 215 weight class and went 6-3. Junior Miguel Uriarte-Giron is in the 132 weight class and went positive with a record of 5-4. “So far in the season I believe we as a team have done alright, and individually with the new people have shown determination, which is what we need in this team.” junior Miguel Uriarte-Giron said.

Senior Captain John Bateky has an outstanding 19-4 record this season. “I think the team and I care most for improvement. We have a lot of new faces this year and we know we aren’t touted as the best in the county or the state but as far as I know, we might have the most heart,” Bateky said.

Captains are leaders of the team and Bateky has shown it this year with the vibrant personality he brings to the team. “For every triumphant win, there’s a tragic loss but in the midst of it all, there will still be practice tomorrow or in the days following. That’s where we brew in heat and humidity and rediscover resolve, as brothers and sisters in arms, we continue to push forward and wrestle hard, win or lose,” Bateky said.

The final stretch of matches is a tri-meet with Sherwood and Northwest hosted at Sherwood tonight. The Patriots are also hosting a tri-meet, which is the last match of the season and senior night, against Rockville and Richard Montgomery on Feb. 3. “I am excited for the last few matches of the season and will miss the senior captains as they have shown great determination,” Uriarte-Giron said.