Wrestling look forward to exceptional season with 1-2 start

Photo by Xander Murthwaite
Juniors Miguel Giron Uriarte and Argil Bilegsaikhan warm up for wrestling practice.

Wrestling looks forward to another successful season after last year’s regular season record of 10-4. This year they are off to a decent start with a record of 1-2, but still have eyes on the state championship.

Personal records for the team vary. Senior Timothy Yun is 8-1, senior Micheal Gurevich is 5-1, senior Captain Dangelo Da’Silva is undefeated and senior John Bateky is 7-1. Senior Ksenia Shabardina also became the champion in the 135 women’s weight class, which is a remarkable achievement for her and for the team.

Coach Shane Bramble has high hopes for the team after break as they are currently riddled with injuries for many of their top wrestlers. “I believe we’re going to have a lot of individual success. This is a reload, reshot year for us, a buildup. We still have a good chance of clinching the division title for every wrestler who wrestles. The team has a lot of injuries, once we heal up we’ll be solid,” Bramble said.

Wrestlers have a complicated preparation routine for their matches. They often have to cut weight, which can be grueling. In order to be qualified for a match, wrestlers have to make a certain weight class that matches their opponent for a fair bout. “Weight cutting affects someone mentally and physically. Knowing you’re going to have to work extra hard or cut some meals to make the weight you wrestle at is never a good feeling. For me, cutting weight leads to me overeating before a match and the actual process of weight cutting takes a toll on my cardio and gets me fatigued easily,” junior Captain Miguel Uriarte Giron said.

Senior Jake Kelley is coming off a successful football season making All-County for wide receivers, He is currently injured but feels ready to come back even stronger for a successful wrestling season. “I’m excited to get to work with our great coach Bramble and coach Ralph, some of the best coaches in the county. Our team is very injured and I hope everyone heals up so we can be good to go. The new schedule ahead of us is looking easier so I’m looking forward to winning,” Kelley said.

Third-year junior Argil Bilegsaikhan, who is also coming off of a strong season last year, was given the news that he is out for the rest of the season due to a heart condition. “Injuries are a part of the sport but while I won’t be wrestling the whole season I am still supporting my teammates at all times,” Bilegsaikhan said.

Upcoming matches are on Jan. 3 versus Magruder and on Jan. 9 against rival Churchill.