Best Iranian soccer team: Persepolis, not Esteghlal

Photo used with permission from Google Commons
Persepolis F.C. won 2-0 against Paykan F.C. on July 30, 2021, in the Iran Pro League.

Esteghlal and Persepolis F.C. are the two most famous teams in the Iran Pro League. This league comprises 16 teams, two relegated to the Azadegan League if they finish last. The Tehran Derby is the name given to games with Persepolis and Esteghlal competing against each other. Esteghlal is usually associated with middle-class Iranians, while Persepolis represents the working class. There have been 99 Tehran Derbys, 25 of which Persepolis has won, 26 of which Esteghlal has won, and 48 of which have ended in a draw. Being the most popular game in Iran and often happening in Azadi Stadium in Tehran, the Tehran Derby attracts crowds nearing 100k people. With this heated environment around the Tehran Derby, there are discussions about who is best: Esteghlal or Persepolis?

Esteghlal has won the Asian Cup twice, compared to Persepolis, which has only won once. Being one of the more difficult cups, supporters of Esteghlal argue that this is representative of Esteghal’s superiority. They also say that the current scoreboard in the Iran Pro League illustrates Esteghlal’s supremacy, with them placing first and Persepolis F.C. ranking sixth. An argument indeed.

These supporters seem to conveniently leave out that Esteghlal has only won the Iranian league nine times compared to Persopolis’ 15 wins. Although Esteghlal has only one more Asian Cup win, they are lagging by six wins in Iran’s domestic league, which witnesses Tehran Derbys regularly. Persepolis is also leading the rivalry in the Iran Super Cup, one of the more prestigious achievements, by four, having won five times compared to Esteghlal’s one Super Cup win.

Additionally, although the current scoreboard only represents Presopolis in some ways, we need to consider that certain vital players, such as their left back, Mohammad Ansari, have left the team, leaving chemistry and team confirmation deteriorating. This, however, does not take away from Persopol’s superior achievements in the domestic league and their accomplishments in the international Asian Cup, having won one time compared to Esteghlal’s two wins. While Persopolis lags on international achievements, they are farther ahead in Iran’s major soccer leagues, which is why they are the best Iranian soccer team.

Beyond the soccer field, each football club’s role in the political environment is also essential. The question of who’s best is not limited to the soccer field, yet we must consider the team’s actions outside. In this arena, Persepolis emerges victorious. With open defiance against the authoritarian regime in the Green Movement through players like Ali Karimi, the football club has become a symbol of resistance. Persepolis player Ali Daei is also known for his open defiance of the Islamic Republic.

With Esteghlal leading the current scoreboard in the Iran Pro League, it is easy to forget Persopolis’s past. Emerging victorious in domestic achievements and political activism, lagging behind only in international Asia Cup wins, Persepolis is in the hearts of many, the best Iranian soccer team.

For the non-Iranians reading this, who do you think deserves the title of the best Iranian team? Esteghlal or Persoplis?