What do baseball players do to stay on their game?

Photo by Gurnoor Sodhi
Sophomore Kai Schmelzer plays a game on Apr. 20 after practicing for the season and getting in the right mindset.

In the world of professional baseball, the pursuit of excellence is a relentless journey that extends far beyond what the eyes can see.

Baseball players are highly thought of for their athleticism and skill and invest immense effort both on and off the field to stay on top of their game. “The most important things to have as a baseball player is the ability to be coached, being confident, and to always be able to have fun throughout the game,” sophomore Kai Schmelzer said.

One necessity of a baseball player’s routine is physical conditioning. The demanding nature of the sport requires players to be excellent athletes, excelling in strength, speed, and agility.

In addition to traditional workouts, baseball players also need to gain perfect team chemistry as they are going to be working together for 120 minutes straight. “Team chemistry is one of the most important things in sports, it’s knowing teammates’ weaknesses and strengths as well as teamwork and positivity, chemistry goes with communication with all those things together you have a strong uplifting fun environment,” sophomore Blake Graham said.

Focusing on the game on and off the field is important for baseball players. Usually, there are different techniques and rituals that players use to be “locked in” before their game.

Music techniques, mindfulness practices and exercises help players stay calm and maintain a positive mindset. “I have three game rituals. I always listen to music. I also try to manifest and watch highlights of other players. Those are the two things I do to prepare me for any game, they get me in my zone,” sophomore Blake Graham said.

Players need to maintain focus, and concentration, and understand game strategies. Understanding game strategies helps players have a better understanding of the game and reflect on how they do in the game as well. “I have forced myself to learn from my mistakes instead of shying away. I keep a positive attitude even when we are struggling. I also push my teammates to their full potential.” junior Luke Brunner said.

Film studying is something else useful to players. Analyzing opponents’ strategies, studying pitchers, and reviewing one’s performance can help build a player’s baseball IQ.

Off-season training is also a crucial period for baseball players. While it offers a physical break from the season’s intensity, it becomes a time for targeted skill development, reflection and goal setting. Players use this time to address weaknesses, refine their techniques and set ambitious targets for the upcoming season.

There are effective ways for baseball players to stay focused on their upcoming games. Common popular strategies are music, reflection on their performances, mental exercises, pregame routines and goal setting.

The dedication and discipline exhibited by baseball players, both in season and during the off-season, highlight the multifaceted nature of their commitment to staying on top of their game.

The life of a baseball player extends far beyond the innings played on the field. Through a hard combination of physical conditioning, nutrition, mental courage, and strategic preparation, these athletes strive for excellence.