Girls’ basketball bounces into new season

Photo by Ed Lomotan
Sophomore Maya Bellamy shields the ball from the opposing Magruder defender and attempts a bounce pass into the paint for an easy layup on Dec. 5. The Patriots won 55-31.

Although they lost to Winston Churchill in the regional final, the girl’s basketball team still had an impressive season last year. With returning head coach Maggie Dyer at the helm, they look to continue their excellence. Last year, they finished the season 19-3, ending with a 14-game win streak that was eventually snapped by a loss in the playoffs. The 2023 team was composed of key players that included a starting lineup who have all since graduated.

Dyer is searching for players to fill in the gaps of the graduated seniors. Junior Maddy Mathews played on JV last year and hopes to catch the eye of Dyer and play a pivotal role this year. In preparation for this season Mathews “joined a club team and did workouts in the off-season.”

She said that “[their] team will surprise a lot of people and have the potential to make a playoff run.”

Even though they are a young team, they don’t lack talent. Returning varsity player sophomore Megan Lomotan looks to lead the backcourt, along with senior Erin McGinness who hopes to be a key player in the coming games.

Dyer focuses not only on mastering fundamental skills such as shooting, dribbling, and defensive strategies but also on building leadership qualities and sportsmanship. The intense training and competitive practices create a platform for the group to grow as players and teammates.

On Nov. 29 the girls kicked off their season as they defeated a tough Urbana side in a 39-31 home performance. That following weekend, on Dec. 1, they had a double header where they took on Walkersville and Oakdale High Schools, finishing with one win and a loss. Finally, on Dec. 5 the girls suited up for the first official game of the season where they dominated in a convincing double-digit win over Magruder.

Sophomore captain Maya Bellamy embraces her role as a leader on this young team. “I want to make sure that everyone feels included and benefits from this season. Losing a bunch of seniors hurt our spirit but if we all work together as a team, I’m confident we’ll win games. Becoming a 3A school gives us more confidence as we look at our division and see we can go far in playoffs.”

This year, the team has student managers who help them throughout the season. One of whom is varsity football player junior Manny Perez, accompanied by junior Daniella Bunman. The duo isn’t required to attend practices but they are considered to be valuable assets to the team. On game days Perez is responsible for “filling the balls up with air, setting up equipment, either working the scoreboard or shot clock, and putting everything away after the game.”

These student-athletes participate in a sport that not only promotes physical fitness but also instills valuable life lessons, camaraderie, and a sense of empowerment. Last year, there was a noticeable surge in the popularity and recognition of girls’ basketball, especially in attendance, which can be attributed to the dominance of the program. Their next game is a tough home matchup against Richard Montgomery on Dec 8.