New college and career counselor Jennifer MacDonald arrives

Photo by Duke Ampofo
The college and career center, located across from the main office and next to the counseling office. Jennifer MacDonald’s office and career materials can be found here.

College application regular decision deadlines are approaching or have already passed if students were applying early action or early decision. New college and career counselor Jennifer MacDonald is here to make the process easier for students.

MacDonald began here in early November. Before that, MacDonald was working at Clarksburg as the dual enrollment coordinator. MacDonald has two children who attend this school, and one attending Robert Frost. In her free time, MacDonald likes to read and go out with her friends if her kids are not keeping her busy. MacDonald is excited to bring a warm and welcoming attitude to the community. “I am excited to get feedback from students on what changes could be made,” MacDonald said.

She is ready to encourage and support the underclassmen on what paths they choose best for them while planning their futures. “I want kids to start coming in even in the younger years to start that conversation because often ninth and 10th graders get left out of the conversation and we sort of focus on 11th and 12th graders. I think if we had more books available and made younger kids feel comfortable here, they would take advantage of some of these ideas,” MacDonald said.

Another question that seniors now may have is about financial aid and scholarships. “The financial aid platform is completely being changed this year, so the 2024 seniors have no idea what to expect when it is released,” MacDonald said. “By the time class of 2025 comes around, there will be more information, so I would like to have all of the updated stuff available for 2025, and even for the younger students so they can start thinking about the cost of college and what options there are to get them through that.”

Another major goal that MacDonald has is to work with students who don’t have all the advantages when it comes to college and future planning. “We are looking for kids whose parents maybe didn’t go to college, or didn’t go to college in this country, so they are trying to figure this all out by themselves, and I don’t want them to because it is so complicated,” MacDonald said.

Advice that MacDonald would give to current seniors is to just breathe and know that there is a plan for everyone. “Do not let the senioritis hit too early because some schools will still care about attendance and grades,” MacDonald said.

Advice MacDonald gave to current juniors is to start giving attention to what the plan will be for next school year. “It is not too early to start playing around in Naviance, deciding between private and public schools, coming to speak with me, and most importantly, keeping grades up. College after college that has come by has said that 11th grade is the most important,” MacDonald said.

MacDonald can be found on Instagram @Wootton_ccic. She shares sources such as scholarship information, college visits, financial aid, testing materials, and anything relevant to future planning.